backpack for macbook pro 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kn-ig-ht, Aug 19, 2006.

1. kn-ig-ht macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a non-flashy backpack for my MBP 17"

I'm a college student and got the laptop paid for out of a summer work contract. I'll be carrying it around campus and will need room for maybe a couple of textbooks, notebooks and a ti83. I don't want a bag that screams laptop within, please steal!!! (i.e. those bags that are flashy or have a label like targus, incase, samsonite, etc. i'll remove the tags if i do buy one) The swissgear backpack seems to be the most common bag around campus but it seems they dont make one for the 17".

I went to the Apple Store Nashville and the only bags in the store were the hiking style incase bags which reminded me of the huge senate rollerblade bag i had in high school (ick) and they wanted $100 for it? INSANELY OVERPRICED. The apple store rep said well its for a $3200 laptop... guess they think if youll pay through the nose for silly bag? I was hoping to find a incase bag with the single cross chest strap like a friend of mine has for his 12" powerbook. I've searched the apple store online, and misc other sites without much luck. Suggestions?

mitch
    trying to remain inconspicuous on campus (on a budget)

2. shecky Guest

shecky

not sure about a specific backpack, but what i will say is that a cheap backpack is fine as long as you have a very good sleeve around the laptop. its kind of the best of both worlds; the laptop is protected pretty well and you have a non-computer-baggy looking bag its inside of.

having said that, i have owned super cheap bags and expensive bags, and in my opinion a well made expensive bag (as opposed to just a "brand name" bag thats expensive because of the logo on it) is money well spent.

3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I'd say get a sleeve for it. Especially since you might discover it's not worth hauling that monstrosity around with you all the time at school. At least that's what I've decided with mine.

4. kn-ig-ht thread starter macrumors newbie

shecky & wrc, i was thinking the same about maybe just a sleve but then i was thinking i could use the laptop slot as a double for books when not carrying the llaptop.

I found these last night after an exhaustive search.
    http://www.buy.com/prod/Samsonite_Executive_Backpack/q/loc/101/10382176.html
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202810097&loc=16234
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10382175&loc=101

The pricing is pretty reasonable but not quite sure if they will fit or not fit. Buy.com rules, i ordered a Western Digital MyBook Pro 500gb the other day for nearly $70 off! Planning on trying some retail stores that carry these to see if it will fit. I've never heard or seen a samsonite bag taht cant take a licking. I'll follow up with my findinds.

5. mrviga macrumors member

Try finding the Ogio Metro bag! It's great! The quality is awesome, and it fits plenty of books and your laptop into one great bag. I got mine for 22 dollars through the bookstore at my school, but I was dating the owner of that store, so I'm sure she gave me a little discount. But seriously, great bag!! I've had mine for 4 years now, much longer than the relationship lasted...;-)