Backpacks again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mikeyredk, Aug 7, 2004.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Schools starting soon and i was looking for a backpack also one to carry my laptop.

it MUST be able to carry 4-5 textbooks and other school supplies. looks doesn't matter too much as long as it doesn't look like a dell (A.K.A fugly.)

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

4. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

solidgun The only positive review i found was yours...

Kwyjibo I have no clue the quality of the bags, nor what bag you recommend. But, those bags are way too expensive

5. Nspace macrumors regular

I recently purchased the Kensington Saddlebag Sport. I really like it alot, has many cool features and it is affordable. I was looking at a Crumpler before and it was a good 100 (Canadian) dollars more.

It looks good, it is really comfortable, has lots of compartments, and little mesh nets inside to hold accessories for the laptop. The front has a good compartment for pens pencils and supplies as well. The bag is built really well and seems durable (I wont be able to put it to the final test until school has started). Last weekend I used it to take 4 magazines, a thick book, my camera, mini tripod, sketchbook, powerbook, ac adapter, wide angle lens, a dvd and pens and pencils comfortably in it.

4-5 text books is alot for ANY backpack so it would be a tight fit.

Here is the link:
    http://www.kensington.com/html/3208.html

6. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

i need that many since i will not be able to go back home and pick up any books. I can push it down to 2-3 books but no less. So far i like the sony the best, but the timbuk2 comes in second for being so colorful. Is that a good thing or will it attract thieves? also what about the apple endorsed bags

7. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

or i will use the link at the bottom of the page

here

8. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Yeah, I know that mine was the only review for that bag. But I am fairly sure people have purchased it elsewhere. It is difficult to find that bag at Buy.com unless you are looking for it specifically there. I was just showing you the bag, not recommending you to buy it from there.
    But it is big enough to fit 4-5 books and accessories for your comp.

Oh, that and how many people actually bother to write reviews. I just wrote one there because I was so satisfied with this backpack.

9. Pomme macrumors member

I'm a student, and I would highly, highly recommend going with a sleeve for your laptop. It's an easy alternative to a traditional laptop bag. I went ahead and got the Tucano second skin for my iBook, and it's wonderful! It's made of the sort of material a wetsuit is made out of--neoprene--and hugs the laptop perfectly. It's really durable, too.

Anyways, I go ahead and slip my iBook in the sleeve, and put my sleeve in my North Face backpack. It should fit in any sort of traditional backpack. So long as you aren't throwing your backpack off high ledges or carrying bricks in your bag, your laptop should be fine. I haven't had any trouble yet. It turns any bag into a laptop bag... and it's not huge or ugly. And if you want to keep your laptop low profile while carrying it around town or campus, you don't stick out like a sore thumb like you might with a traditional bag. It might not be right for everyone, but it's perfect for me.

And, they're a great deal cheaper than full-sized bags. Always a plus. :) I think there are some other great sleeves on the market... search the forum. It's where I found out about the Tucano. I've heard the Tom Bihn brain cell is fabulous, and there are a great many good product recommendations on the board.

10. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

what do you think of this jansport its $180 expensive too ...

[​IMG]

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I really heavily, über-ly recommend a bag from STM. I have the sports, and it's pretty damned good. but I don't think it's quite big enough for you. Luckily, there are bigger ones. :) (FYI, my bag was about $80 when I bought it, probably less now)

12. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Look no Further;

Good Set of backpacks from Tom Bihn. The brain bag Is the *ultimate* back pack. Trust me you'll not be disappointed.

13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I am going to side with SolidGun on this one.

I have a Targus Elite and I love it. Though it was about 60-70 dollars.

Mike

14. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

A second vote for the Tom Bihn Brain Bag and Brain Cell (sleeve). I've had one for 4 years now. Looks practically new after almost daily use and several trips.

15. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

You'll be able to get 4 or 5 LARGE text books in that bag with ease along with tons of magazines, computer cables, pencil cases, notebooks, everything you’ll need to take with you.
    This bag is HUGE. On their site somewhere it mentions that some people had to return it and get the smaller one because it was too big. You could carry the kitchen sink in this thing! It's a monster!! :p

16. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Targus

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TSB312

I own this one and use it to lug my PBG3, psychology, html, and the cisco book along with it's lab companion. Quite a load, but nice. The side pocket are excellent for Mice, No-Doz, power adapter, fork for ramen noodles, etc

Also in the flap cover, (zippers underneath) there is a zipper pocket that holds my cd-wallet and headphones.

I've had it for over tow years under harsh conditions, and no complaints. Unlike all the other cheap arse bags I've gotten in the past, this one has pretty solid fabric and a rubber bottom, so I know it won't bottom out. Nice padded sleeve for laptop in main compartment. Padded back and shoulderstraps too. The way the back is designed saves me lots of pain and makes a good pillow for long bus rides or sleeping at an airport ^_^

Oh yea, it doesn't look so much as a computer bag, so less chances of getting it jacked.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Timbuktu bags are toooo small, while the Spire carries the laptop in a "middle" compartment. Usually, its best to carry the laptop in the compartment closest to the back. If the laptop is in a middle compartment, the only thing protecting your laptop is some padding, and the pencils, pens, and calculator you may put in the front compartment. And having 3 compartments just takes into the space the bag is supposed to offer. Two compartments is enough.

However, the Spire bags are big. The descriptions say that the bags are wide, but that would help you if you had a big laptop. It won't help you carry textbooks unless it's deep. And if the main compartment is huge, don't get a bag with lots of divider pockets, to separate clothes/food from books. They only take away from textbook space. ;)

Targus bags are quite big. :)

Personally, I'd get one of these 2 bags when I buy my next bag. Mountain Equipment Co-op an amazing company, and the "Darwin" is a computer bag with an outer mesh pouch to keep your shoes, towels, or anything else that you dont have room for inside. The front pocket is specifically made to hold pens, pencils, and even big markers.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...33&PRODUCT<>prd_id=520877&bmUID=1091960146409

The other one just looks cool. :cool:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...33&PRODUCT<>prd_id=337051&bmUID=1091960146402

18. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Too bad you arent after portability, or else you could get on of these (assuming its a 12" iBook or 12" Powerbook)

Best portable Slingpack

19. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Checking all of them out the Brain Bag looks okay but... its more expensive than the jansport. (if you haven't noticed I am partial to jansports. I have been using them since elementary school.)

I live off campus (Never lived off campus before) so I want to budget needing to bring everything. On any-given day I have 4 classes back to back. I go 4 hours without a break!!! from 12-4, 11-4 Somedays (but one big break). I'm going to Penn State University Park.

If anyones interested what that looks like.

[​IMG]

20. Nspace macrumors regular

Whoa, I am glad that in my program I have a 3 hour class for each course and therefore only have each class once a week.

That is intense. Best of luck next year! It sounds like that Sony backpack will accomodate all the books you need to carry.

21. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

I use an Ogio Metro and it's been a relevation. It has a mammoth pocket that would hold at last four major textbooks, plus room for a 15-inch lappie and an iPod and all the goodies you need for that -- plus two more pockets.

It holds all.

I couple this bad boy with a Crumpler School Hymn sleeve, which is wonderful.

I'd also recommend the Tom Bihn Brain Bag, but that bad boy is epxensive.

22. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

wow that thing is bigger than the jansport and cheaper too... whats the catch?

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I just got the brenthaven 15" bag for my pbook. It seems like it would fit textbooks.

24. mstecker macrumors 6502

Boblbee

You owe it to yourself to check out the Boblbee.

http://www.boblbee.com

They are expensive, unusual, but indestructible. I have two and they are about my favorite inanimate objects of all time.

I've beaten mine on both daily commutes to/from work and on countless business trips around the world - never having damaged a thing inside.

The only problem with them is that they draw a great deal of attention: "What is that?" "Is that some type of sled"? You get used to it after a while.

My current daily rig is a Megopolis Sport with side bags and rear netting. Its laptop compartment holds up to a 15" apple notebook with ease. The 17" sort of fits. I also have a "People's Delite", which is perfect with a 12".

For any laptop uses, I'd suggest the internal electronics organizer. It adds a nice compartment for a power supply, cables, etc.

25. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

they force me to use IE. no way am i going to buy anything from them now