Backpacks (I Need Help)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jazzbug, Oct 4, 2004.

1. jazzbug macrumors newbie

Hey, all.
    Can you help me find the perfect backpack for carrying a 17" powerbook, an m-box, and an oxygen 8 all together?
    - Thanks, Jazzbug.

2. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I have a 17" PowerBook and I love it. I don't think I would have bought it if Brenthaven did not offer a really good backpack to carry it in. http://www.brenthaven.com/flash.html

I am in and out of airports every other week and I don't worry about my investment because it is in a Brenthaven backpack. You will pay a little bit more for it, but once you consider you just dropped almost $3,000 for a laptop it is kind of silly to skimp on a backpack to carry it in.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have to agree. Don't skimp on the backpack. I have an iBook and got a Brenthaven backpack from apple. It really has held up well.

4. JCT macrumors 6502

I really like my VoltXL from SpireUSA .

Looks good,, built to last and great company to deal with, real personal attention.

JT

5. jazzbug thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

thanks to each of you for your help. i needed it. do either of you have experience carrying all of the items i mentioned earlier at the same time in the same bag? 17" powerbook; m-box; and oxygen 8? -jazzbug

6. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

Ouch! You carry an oxygen 8 around? I dont' have a lot experience carrying a m-box and oxygen 8 around. However I can give you an idea off what I carry in my Brenthaven backpack.

17" Powerbook
    Power Brick and extra cord
    2 Ethernet cables
    Cable lock
    DVI to Vega adapter
    1 firewire cable
    1 Telephone cord (i never use this thing)
    1 Canon USB adapter to transfer pictures
    4 blank CD-Rs in cases
    1 financial calculator
    *1 Corporate Finance text book
    *1 International Marketing text book
    A DVD holder with 8 movies inside of it
    10 case studies
    1 digital camera
    Passport
    sunglasses case and bunch of other little things too trivial to mention

I was really worried about the weight of the books compressing the screen into the keys, but the computer sleeve has a hard shell so there is little to worry about. I do use a screen protector though just in case.

I am sure with all of the crap of carry in backpack you will be able to fit you items in the Brenthaven. I has a lot of pockets so you can stash thing in it and the shoulder straps are easy on the body. I especially like it for its ease of access to the laptop, especially when I need to go through security at the airport.

Good luck....

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i use a spire backpack, carrys a lot fo my gear, cables, mouse, external hard drive

camera paraphernalia, doesnt fit my d70 tho hehe

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Brenthaven's the only way to go - durable, lifetime warr., doesn't scream "I have an expensive laptop." Tons of space - great for traveling - I've been through most of Europe and the streets of Chicago every day with this bag - I've looked at Spires, Tom Bihn's Bags, etc - nothing matches up IMHO.

9. crackrock macrumors member

crackrock

I have a $20 eastpack backpack and I just throw my powerbook into that whenever I go anywhere. The laptop is made out of metal, it's plenty strong enough. Don't waste your $

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

if you don't mind scratches on your powerbook, or an occasional dent, yeah that's the way to go.

at least get a nice sleeve if you're using a regular eastpak/north face/jansport backpack. it's worth the money.

in airports I put my pb on top of its sleeve when I place it in the plastic bin for the x-ray machine.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That sounds like a good idea. I was carrying a few things around in my EastPak as I rode my bike and the fabric started ripping under the weight.

My Crumpler backpack does a much better job and has plenty of padding--for the contents and me.

12. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Gravis (footwear division of Burton Snowboards) offers some great bags, my backpack came with a neoprene laptop sleeve that fits my 15" Powerbook like a glove...I'd look at some of the Gravis bags, plus they're discrete with great style.

13. djkny macrumors 6502

I've had several Brenthaven's received a gifts. Each time, I'll do a trial run on them, then sell them and get mucho cash on Clist.

They have protection and all but are terribly bulky. Unnecessarily so. You can have great padding and protection w/o having to add unneccessary bulk. The shoulder bag, for e.g., is 4.5 ibs w/o the powerbook inserted. That's unreasonable.

Buy and try the Tom Binh's. There's a reason why these things have a months long wait list. They are individually hand crafted, light, original, innovative, built to last awhile. They remind you of the niche the iPod created when first released. My fear is that in a few yrs., TB bags will blow up and go public. ..

14. jazzbug thread starter macrumors newbie

without getting all mushy...

i love ALL you guys! i thank each and every one of you for your advice. I'm on my way out to begin "test" shopping. Brenthaven and Tom Binh 1st...-later, -jazzbug