Backpacks or Shoulder Bags?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DarkNetworks, Oct 22, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

well, wht do u usually use to keep ur mac save? backpacks? shoulder bags or more known as sling bags? any brands in particular that u favor most?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I use a shoulder bag. It looks like a pretty little briefcase.
    It's realllyyyyy heavy to have a 15" powerbook on one shoulder, though. Oy! I thought my back hurt before....

I'm thinking of getting a backpack (not one-shouldered) for my PB. I'm just waiting until something goes on sale.

Weight distributed over two shoulders is better than having it all on one. Blech. That hurts.

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have both. I have a 12" Powerbook, and my backpack's laptop compartment is too large for the 12"er. I know there are specific backpacks made to hold small 10.9/12/13 inch laptops, but I always find that they make their main storage compartment too small on those backpacks. Just because I have a small laptop doesn't mean I have less schoolbooks to carry!! A small laptop compartment with a large main compartment would be quite ace.

Anyway, I could buy a sleeve and put my 12" PB into that before placing it into my backpack, but hey, I'm a cheap stoodent who would rather spend his money elsewhere. ;)

Oh, and I have 2 shoulder bags, although only my STM Small Loft was made for carrying a computer.

Generally, I have a Porter International shoulder bag in case I want to look x-tra yuppy-ish, even if I have no (real) job. :eek:

5. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I have a backpak - American Tourister. It's quite nice. Doesn't look much like it's made for carrying a laptop around. If I didn't have a 17" I'd consider getting a shoulderbag. It seems a bit more handy. But I'm pretty confident though, that backpack, in all aspects, is the safest way to carry a laptop around.

A

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A backpack because I ride to uni. A bike people, I ride a push bike.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Backpack!

Because Katie is right... weight distributed over two shoulders is 100 times better for you (and more comfortable) than on one shoulder. I have a booq bag Boa XS which it seems they have now discontinued.

I am the opposite of Abstract-- I wanted a tiny backpack w/ very minimal storage space. I don't want to haul anything extra (psh, text books? puh-lease, I'm not that conscientious of a student! I'd say you can get away w/out having your texts in 90% of your classes).

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I ordered a nice Northface backpack from eBags. $40 and still in great shape!

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I got mine from my local PC World for £50, and it's a AirBag backpack - I need a backpack because cycling with a shoulder bag is very very hard

11. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Backpack all the way. I have a crumpler FWIW.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've got a Crumpler backpack for my computer and camera equipment. It's heavy enough that I wouldn't trust it all to another kind of bag. Still, it's also got straps so I can cinch it to me to keep it from moving while I'm riding my bike. The only problem I've found is that it's too huge to put in an overhead compartment on a bus.

14. khammack macrumors regular

From the kensington link:
    This for a black laptop bag with an Apple logo on the side. :confused:

-kev

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

very safe indeed

i carry my ibook in a incase sleeve and a targus laptop bag with a marware cover to protect the screen from the keyboard.

Bless

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The logo is actually very discrete in real life/light, just enough to make the bag a bit more stylish... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, for me at least, any square-ish bag in dark colours shouts "computer inside" to me, so I think Kensington might be stretching it a bit, Apple logo or not... ;)