Backup 3 running; seems vastly better than previous versions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsw, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've just installed and run Backup 3. First impression: it's much better than Backup 2. Of course, how could it not be?

What I love most? The ability to easily schedule backups of things like my purchased music, which I can safely backup daily. Easy to set up, easy to run.

And the 1GB total disk space makes it a lot easier to actually use my iDisk to back up files that normally would have to have been sent to CD or DVD.

This isn't the world's best backup program. But Backup and backup 2 were so horrible that I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised by how nice the interface to Backup 3 turned out to be.

Attached Files:

2. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

What I like most:

The fact that it is trivially easy (almost Automator-like) to set up multiple scheduled backups, each of which can backup different files or filtered searches to different locations (iDisk, alternate hard drive, other media).

I still find it hard to believe that Backup is actually a useful piece of software now.

3. carpe diem macrumors 6502

4. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's a lot easier - for example, I want to back up purchased music, and it took all of about a minute from the time I installed it to have that scheduled daily. Also, I've scheduled numerous other file sets to be backed up to my iDisk and to external drives, all automatically and daily.

Backup 2, on the other hand, was (to me) harder to use - and it crashed frequently.

5. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Ok thank you, it just seemed more complicated from the images, also i did not have any problems with backup 2.

6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think my problems stemmed from using it on a drive with way too many files on it. Backup 3 does seem more robust, though, as it had no problems so far.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

A welcome (if late) update. Finally I can rely on Mac software for backups to my external drive :)