backup 500GB HD to a 250GB external?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speakerwizard, Nov 10, 2006.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Hey guys, me again, anyway, im gonna clone my HD and reinstall osx because of the issues ive been having, now what i need to know is, i have a 500GB HD but only a 250GB external to backup to, as i have only used 130GB of my internal, would carbon copy or super duper be ok backing up to the 250GB external? thanks

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Yeah it should do, I don't think the target drive needs to be identical in size to the source, so long as you have enough space available for your files. Give it a go though, you've nothing to lose :)

(I'm referring to SuperDuper by the way, I haven't any experience with CCC)

3. clairejr macrumors newbie

You can do it - I just cloned my 50 GB external partition (with 20 GB used) to my 40 GB internal drive. I use DataBackup from Prosoft (not free), but SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner should also work.

Claire

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

"Two in one is a B.S. term, because one ain't big enough to hold two. That's why two was created. If you put two into one it would be overflowing. And the bottle would be all sticky and sh*t." - Mitch Hedberg

5. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Voilà

http://www.bartleby.com/61/81/V0138100.html

<this message brought to you from the slightly irritable committee to prevent the decomposition of language>