Backup Battery Help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by robotrenegade, Jan 26, 2004.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to get a backup battery, but something to regulate the power all the time. I think the voltage in my building sucks. I want it to cover my 2 displays (23"&15") and exturnal harddrive and soundsticks. I would like it to give me about 10min of power after the power goes out for me to shut down. And for it to work in 10.3.

Any ideas, I don't know much about these.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

To get 10mins of power while driving what sounds like everything you will need about a 1000VA UPS. That's really not as big as it sounds.

There are a lot of good back-ups out there and really there shouldn't be a large difference between any of them except for power conditioning (voltage control, line noise, etc.). I think APC makes the best when it comes to power conditioning and compatibility with OSX.

http://www.apcc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

Use the the selector near the top of the page it should direct you to the equipment you need.

If your worried about dirty power select one with sine wave output. I'll warn you though they are quite a bit more expensive. I found on my Tivo which was having constant problems that just having the APC UPS with it's normal power filtering ability cured all the problems I was having.

3. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much. Question about tivo. I got the 40 hour one. Can the home media opiton use ACC yet? Does it work well in 10.3?

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have a DiecTivo which is a version 1 Tivo so I can't use the home media option. What is ACC?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47895

If you look back, some of the people who monitored the dual G5s (with screens) were running about 235W idle and 370-400W when the DP G5 kicked into high gear.

Makosuke got 170W and 325W for the DP PowerMac G5 alone.

Since quite a few of the low-end 500VA UPSs are 300W units this tends to set off the overload sensors when the machine cycles into high gear.

So you can see why a bunch of people are now recommending the 1000VA UPSs...

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yup, you can never have too much overhead. 1000VA is the way to go.

7. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got this one.

Link

Tell me if this one is the good one you talked about, MacBandit.

ACC I meant AAC m4a format.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That should be more then adequate for your needs.:)

AAC I don't know if it's compatible but I doubt it. As I said I have a version 1 DirecTivo which is incompatible with the HMO.

When I finally get my PS2 networked I'll probably just get the software available that allows you to stream audio and video files through it to your stereo and TV.