Backup copies of software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kennykroot, Mar 7, 2007.

1. kennykroot macrumors newbie

I download alot of software and would like to save copies on my external hard drive so that I can re-install it if my hard disk ever crashes. How do I go about this?

This one ain't rocket science, I know. But for some reason I can't find the answer since everytime I search for "backup software" I get returns on software that does backups instead of backing up software.

THANKS!!!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Create a folder on your external drive called 'Software' or whatever you want. When you've finished installing your software, drag the .dmg or .zip file that you downloaded to your 'Software' folder, and you're done. You might also want to print emails with registration codes to PDF files and save those too.

3. kennykroot thread starter macrumors newbie

Blodwyn,

So, if I ever need to reinstall it I would just plug in the external drive, find the .dmg file there and click it - as if I had just downloaded it and it was sitting on my desktop?

I apologize for appearing so thick-headed but this seems way too easy. What's to stop a person from plugging that hard drive into as many computers as they like and installing the software again and again?

Thanks!

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I put an Applications folder in my home folder (so at ~/Applications) and put all third-party apps in that folder. That way, when I backup my home folder, all my third-party apps and their preferences get rolled up into the backup.

I also replace the Applications shortcut in my Finder sidebar with the one in my Home folder so I have easy access to it.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Correct

Mac's are easy, that's one reason why we like 'em. You can plug the drive into many computers and keep installing, same as you could download the file to many computers and install. You are bound by whatever licensing exists for the software, and some applications will check to see if another system on the same subnet is running the software simultaneously. Other apps require an on-line registration that could limit how many times you activate.

6. kennykroot thread starter macrumors newbie

Epochblue,

So, if your internal hard drive were to crash and you needed to put those applications back on it you would simply drag-n-drop them there from your external drive

What about "installation wizards" or some such to re-install the software?

Blodwyn - Thanks!