backup files to multiple DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caspian915, Jan 21, 2007.

1. caspian915 macrumors member

caspian915

I've searched a bit on the forums and keep finding threads about backing up movie DVDs, which is not what I want. Can anyone point me in the right direction: I am selling my Macbook (gasp! I know...I'll be computer-less for a couple of weeks...I wouldn't do it unless it was necessary), and I need to back up all my personal files and reformat the drive. I don't have an external hard drive, but I do have a superdrive and a bunch of DVD-R's. So what is the best way to go about backing up all these files? Is there a free program that will make it simple and organize the files so that when I want to bring them back it won't be a pain?

I guess I can just drag files over to each burn folder until it is close to 4.9GBs, but that could get disorganized.

Any suggestions?

2. bitabytex macrumors member

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Unless you are selling the macbook because you desperately need the money, this would be a good time to buy an external HD. Not only will it make things easier now but it will also allow to backup in the future (something you apparently have never done before).

4. caspian915 thread starter macrumors member

caspian915

The condescension isn't necessary or appreciated. I'm not a noob, and I realize the importance of regular backup. As it stands now, I do not own an external hard drive (but I do have a ton of DVD-Rs at my disposal and a Superdrive), and since I'm selling the laptop so that I can have money to move and put the rest towards a desktop, spending money I don't have on an external hard drive makes about as much sense as your attempt to interpret my situation for me instead of answering my question. So, honestly, if you're gonna be that way, bugger off.

As for the other suggestion, thanks but it gives me the dialog box: "CCC could not find any local disks mounted your system besides the startup disk. Please mount another local disk and disk and try running CCC again."

So that doesn't seem to be a solution. Anything else I can try?

serious answers please, thank you.

5. caspian915 thread starter macrumors member

caspian915

anyone?

Can anyone at least point me to a thread?

Also, I have Sony DVD-Rs. 3 months ago I was able to backup some stuff onto a few of them. Then all of the sudden the optical drive started spitting any form of disk back out without mounting it - commercial CD, CDR, commercial DVD, DVD-R, etc. I brought it to the Apple store and they replaced the drive. Now it accepts commercial CDs, but doesn't seem to want to accept my DVD-Rs (which, like I said, it once did). I make a burn folder, add stuff, and then when I click burn, it asks me to insert the media. When I do, nothing happens.

I can't be the only with these problems.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Toast 8 costs money. caspian is looking for a free solution.

caspian, do you have .Mac? I believe the .Mac Backup program can be used to "span" the back-up over several DVD/CDs. I can't vouch for the reliability as I've never used it, outside of one time at my sister's (who has .Mac).

ft

As for a search, try putting the term "span" in a search to see if anyone has developed a free app to do span-burns.

7. baltas125 macrumors newbie

dvd spanner

DVD Spanner might help you. It helps to record files to multiple dvds automatically. And it is free.