Backup HDD on a dead MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Islandguy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Islandguy, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 unibody MacBook that has a bad logic board. Before having Apple replace the logic board for $280 I want to back up the HDD. My wife has a MacBook as well. They are both running Mountain Lion 10.8. Can I remove the HDD from the bad MB and somehow attach it to my wife's MB with some type of sled and then make a backup of the HDD?
    Thanks for any help!
    Jim

2. macrumors 603

"Can I remove the HDD from the bad MB and somehow attach it to my wife's MB with some type of sled and then make a backup of the HDD?"

Assuming you can take the drive OUT of the MacBook, I would suggest one of these gadgets (for about $20-25):
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=usb3+sata+dock&rh=i:aps,k:usb3+sata+dock
    (many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap)

A USB/SATA dock will prove to be a very handy device to have around. You can put a "bare" drive in and use it as a backup drive. You can even boot from these (just as if it were an external drive enclosure). And the price is right, too.