BackUp iCal and Address book??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roy Hobbs, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

After a hard drive failure and losing some data I am attempting to back up the "most important info" and not clone the entire drive.

What files are needed to fully back-up my iCal and Address book data.

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Choose Backup Address Book or backup iCal from the File menu. This will give you the option of selecting where to save the essential file. :)

3. Roy Hobbs thread starter macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

OK I forgot to mention one thing.....I am trying to AUTOMATE my backups...which is why I want to know what files need to be backed up....I do not want to have to rely on manual backups.

4. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

Almost any application "support/settings" files can be found in the following location:

/Users/[homedirectory]/Library/Application Support/

I recently migrated to a new computer and for my Address Book and iCal, I just had to copy the directories named "Address Book" and "iCal" from that Application Support directory. You might consider backing up the entire directory anyway, it has your important data for most applications.

Another good directory to get is:

/Users/[homedirectory]/Library/Preferences/

Its a little bit harder to find the exact files in there for your application, and is not needed for Address Book or iCal really.

To automate things, you could check out a program called SuperDuper! or if you are comfortable with unix/shell, you could use rsync to do it.

I absolutely LOVE OS X for having everything I need stored in 1 place. In the windows world, the files could be scattered all over the place, and mixed in with the Application directory itself.