BackUp Mail??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roy Hobbs, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

What files need to be backed up to restore my Mail (inbox, sent, settings, etc...).

I am trying to be proactve and make sure everything is backed up as I think my hard drive may be failing.

THanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's a folder in your User's Library folder called Mail that I keep a copy of just in case something goes wrong. :)

3. mvelinder macrumors regular

Ironically, that's the folder I had to delete when something went wrong for me...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting. Unless you have an IMAP account with all messages kept on the server, I strongly recommend not deleting this folder. :)

Did it fix your problem? What was your problem? :)

5. arcobb macrumors regular

No biggie if your using IMAP if you delete it... you'd just have to reenter you info.... and your mail would still be on the server. I've never liked IMAP... I've always used POP (If your using POP and you delete the folder you would lose all your emails).

Alan

6. Roy Hobbs thread starter macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Does this folder contain the mail settings as well??
    Or would I copy in this folder and then set up my mail accoutns again??

Thanks!

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I always like to set up the account from scratch again but FWIW, I'm pretty sure a file named com.apple.mail.plist holds these settings. A good way to test this would be to close Mail and drag this file out of the folder you find it in before reopening Mail. If I was near my Mac, I'd do it myself. :)