Backup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Beej, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Hello everyone... Beej has finished his exams (and uni, for that matter) and is about to get back into posting regularly here again! (It's ok, hold the applause...)

So, what does a guy do when he finally gets a bit of time to himself? He wipes his HD and does a fresh install of Jaguar!

But before I did that I backed up all my old stuff onto another internal drive in the same computer. Now, when I right-click on a file and go to "Open with," I have several copies of apps to choose from, eg my backup copy of 'App 1.0' which is on my backup drive, and 'App 1.1' which is the version on my main drive.

This has always happened, but it's really starting to bug me. Especially when it comes to files that can be opened with heaps of different apps, and I have 3 or 4 backups of those apps scattered across my drive.

Anyway... is it possible to tell OS X only to care about apps on my main drive? Or some other solution possibly... any help would be great.

Ha ha ha... the things that annoy us when we have the time to be annoyed... :)

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Congrats on finishing! Quite a relief, eh?

As for your contextual menu problem...uh, remove the old apps...?

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure Jaguar looks at any apps capable of opening the file and puts them in that menu. So if you remove apps you don't use, then they'll disappear from the menu...maybe. ;)

3. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

Yeah it's great to be done.

Thanks for the, uh, tip, on deleting those old apps. I like to keep them around as backup though. Anyway, I guess keeping old apps is kind of pointless now that I think of it.

See? Too much thinking for the last too long has fried my brain out... :)

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Alas, that is a possibility with being in school for extended periods of time...

Maybe some new "Hardcore" 'tars will help take your mind off things. ;)