backup/restore mailboxes in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by louis_sx, Jul 20, 2005.

1. louis_sx macrumors regular

The thought has never occurred to me - I really should back up my email. My ISP keeps the last three months of messages on the server, but older stuff - if I install OS X, I'll lose it. Is there a handy-dandy utility that will do this? Where are the files kept? I'm learning AppleScript out of boredom and could probably throw together a script to back it up, but I'd need to know what the files were. TIA

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If you are using Mail.app, all your mail is in <your home folder>/Library/Mail. If you are using something else, it's basically just a matter of finding the folder in which that mail program stores the mail and copying that folder to a backup device.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

~\Library\Mail\Mailboxes

They're usually rather large files, but they are easy to copy/replace. Over the past year, I have had to do this 5 times. I've never lost any old mail.

Hope it works for you!

4. louis_sx thread starter macrumors regular

5. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

Or you could find an ISP that provides IMAP accounts.

I know a few in the UK who provide them for small businesses (so they dont have to fork out for MS Exchange servers). Just an idea.

6. scabro macrumors newbie

Mail backup

Hi guys,

Here's the link to the page on the Apple's site which explains how to back up your Mail preferences and messages : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2980