Backup Software Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Reuven, May 25, 2004.

1. Reuven macrumors member

Reuven

I got Silverkeeper with my d2 Lacie External HDD doing a backup of my Macintosh HD as I speak.

But is there any other software out there thats better and really easy to use ??

And how do I go about making a bootable backup ?

Cheers,

Reuven

2. learthur macrumors newbie

Backup

OK. After much thinking, here is what I do for backups. I have a Lacie Firewire 400 drive which I use to do a backup using Carbon Copy Cloner. It makes an EXACT BOOTABLE backup. If you loose a single file, you can plug in the firewire drive, it mounts just like anyother drive, and copy the file off. If your entire HD crashes, just plug in the firewire drive and boot from it directly and run off of it until your original drive is repaired. Works very smoothly and I have tried a LOT of other stuff. You can do the same thing for more money with Synchronize X Pro. I use this to sync files between my desktop and laptop.

3. learthur macrumors newbie

a caveat

Some people have trouble with Carbon Copy Cloner because of existing disk errors. I had this problem and Apple Disk Utility said they were all repaired, but they weren't. I bought a copy of Disk Warrior which fixed everything in a few minutes AND OPTIMIZED my directory structure speeding up my mac back to its fast state when it was new. Well worth the money. Run disk warrior before using carbon copy.