Backup Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, May 24, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

I am looking for a good backup program whether it's free or I have to buy it. Can you guys recommend a good program?

Thanks

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I think backup software comes with .Mac. You might want to try that.

3. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

I know that, but I don't want to pay $99.00 a year to backup my files. I have an external harddrive to backup to. I just need a good program to work with it.

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent program and free. Just search for it at www.versiontracker.com

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

6. learthur macrumors newbie

backup

I also recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. It also syncs now. It will make an exact bootable backup to your firewire drive. Just be sure to fix any existing disk errors with Disk Warrior BEFORE using Carbon Copy or you may have problems. Very easy and low maintenance solution. It is CHEAP also. The best combination I have found so far.

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

tar -cvf /Volumes/External_Harddrive_name/file_name.tar /folder_I_want_to_backup | compress

Think that'll work, I can't test it I'm at a Windows machine. :(

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

FYI, Carbon Copy Cloner is available at http://www.bombich.com and is considered uncrippled shareware. I recommend it too.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've used .Mac's Backup and I've used Retrospect. Simpler than either of those is simply dragging and dropping. Just copy the folders you want to backup onto your external drive. The only hitch I've had with this is that Quicken saves its data files in a strange place rather than putting them in the user's home folder--so I have to take 1 more step to do that.

Main benefits of not using a special backup application are the cost (free) and you don't need an application to use your backup. You can pull individual files out if you want. It's more flexible.

The main disadvantage to not using a backup app is the lack of scheduling your backups--it's all manual. But you might be able to schedule them with an AppleScript. If you do want automatic backups, then do as DavidLeblond suggested and use the command line.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

does CCC support incremental backup? (i.e. not erasing anything not present in the source?)

i think Synk, the app. i suggested, does. wasn't sure about CCC.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

CCC only supports synchronization if you install psync.

12. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24