Backup Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mem, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Mem macrumors member

I've been reading a few threads and I have been noticing people encouraging backing up your system. Call me a moron, but I'm just wondering how you do this? Is it as simple as burning your important documents on a CD? I know .Mac membership comes with backup software but do I really need software to back it up. Is there free internet software avaliable? What do you guys use?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

If you can fit all your documents onto a CD or DVD, by all means, copy them over. Or, create a disk image, copy them into that, encrypt it with a password, and burn them to a disk.

Recently, I had to back up 25GB worth of files, some of which were 4+ GB, so I used Stuffit Deluxe to create an archive split into several files.

Many people seem to like the .Mac backup program, but I can never bring myself to spend $70-100 a year for it.

Lee Tom

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Making backups is always a good idea, especially if you value the information that is stored on your computer! It's easiest and the least hassle to perform if you have an external hard drive.

When it comes down to it I think there are three basic ways to backup your data:

1) Burn the information onto a CD or DVD. Works well if you just want to backup a few documents but you run into difficulties is you have a lot of stuff, like music files.

2) Backup your home directory onto a seperate volume. Fast and simple to do if you have an external hard drive, iPod or even some spare space on another computer. You can then use apps like

Synk to keep your backup current.

3) Create a bootable clone of your system. You can do this by using apps like

Carbon Copy Cloner (freeware) or SuperDuper (shareware).

Your backup needs prob depends on what you keep in your computer but I would recommend option 3 as the safest route :)

There are plenty of other threads on the same topic so you could try doing a search as well.

4. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for those links. Have you ever used Carbon Copy Cloner? It seems it would be perfect for an average user like myself.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have used it, it is great. Nice, easy and powerfull.

6. Mem thread starter macrumors member

and free too! heh. Can't beat that.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Yeah Carbon Copy Cloner does does exactly what it says on the tin and you can't beat the price! However SuperDuper does give you more options, Smart Update (the ability to sync with you clone) is worth the shareware price alone to me...give the free trial a go. It has crippled features but will still let you make a clone.