Backup Solution

Discussion in 'macOS' started by R.Youden, Jan 5, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Hi, I have tried searching for what I want to know but I can't find anything. If there is another thread that covers this topic then please redirect me.

I have 3 macs. My MacBook Pro, an old PowerMac and a Mac mini. I want to have the same music file structure on every machine. And then when I update the music on my MacBook Pro (my main machine) every week or so I can run a backup which updates the folders.

Now I have looked at this using Backup with my .mac account and that only creates a file that my other two machines can't use. Also some of the other solutions, i.e. iBackup only appear to be able to complete a whole backup rather than an updated backup.

Any help would be great thanks.
  2. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Yea, I hope Apple addresses this Backup issue next week at Macworld Expo. The .Mac service is no answer to the problem as no user would have a very pleasant experience when trying to deal with gigs and gigs of music, movies, etc over most current broadband speeds, not to mention .Mac only gives you a few megabytes of storage. The answer will be some type of home network storage server/SAN from Apple. It will have to be from Apple to really provide compatibility with long filenames, metadata, etc. I hope we see something like this from Apple next week. They are losing sales from me because I don't have any more room on my poor little iBook for any TV Shows, Movies, etc.
  3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Just found out that iBackup works. Woo-Hoo. There is an option in the preferences to only backup new files, excellent. Yet another reason to dump .mac...