Backup solutions for OSX 10.4 anyone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nylon, May 21, 2005.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I'm a switcher and would like opinions on a good backup solution for my iMac. With windows I actually stored all my documents and email archives on a secoindary drive. When I had to reformat the secondary drive remained intact while a reinstalled windows.

I would like a simple way to backup documents and emails (from Mail) from the mac to a secondary drive and perhaps have a weekly schedule. I would also like an easy way to transfer those documents back seemlessly.

Any recomendations?

Thanks

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I use SuperDuper! to 'clone' my entire HD to an external drive. This means that not only my mail and documents are safe; but my applications and settings are there too.

I do this on a weekly basis - the free version of SuperDuper limits you to doing full backups, the paid ($19.95) version allows you to do incremental backups.

If something should go drastically wrong with your OS X installation or your HD fails and you need to use your backup, you simply 'restore' the full backup to your HD and your system is exactly the same.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

When Carbon Copy Cloner is updated to run on 10.4 it will also be a great backup program.

4. nutmac macrumors 68030

If you like .Mac's Backup, but do not want to join .Mac to get it, there's iBackup. It's not super sophisticated or anything, but the UI is attractive and fairy easy to use.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is a very good question; what I want is basically a program that will mirror my boot disk nightly to a seperate partition, preferably using a comparison copy rather than re-copying everything to reduce the time and disk access.

Under 10.3 I was using CCC's Psynch/scheduler combo to do this. Worked great--totally transparent, no fuss, even worked if my wife's accout was the currently active one. There was only one problem: if the computer was off or asleep at the scheduled time, the backup wouldn't execute.

Since there is no CCC under 10.4 yet, I started looking for alternatives. One option is a nice Preference Pane called Deja Vu. Reasonably easy to set up, seemed to work pretty well, and not too expensive at $25.

Then I gave Lacie's free SilverKeeper a try. It looks old and crusty, but it's free, was just updated for Tiger, and appears to produce a perfectly good bootable backup, including doing a comparison, instead of just a complete copy. More useful still, it will wake the computer from sleep for the backup, which is really nice. You can also set it to clone on startup, in case the computer was off, but this can get annoying if you're installing stuff or troubleshooting.

Only issues I have with it are that it's not "silent" (it launches a little app to do the work, though it auto-quits when it's done), and it doesn't seem to work quite right if the account it's installed under isn't the currently active one (it'll launch, but won't run).

Synk is also quite nice, and has some great features for saving deleted documents, but it ins't designed to produce bootable clones, so it's out, too.

So far SilverKeeper seems good enough, though I do yearn for a "perfect" solution some day.

Tip: If you backup the way I do, set Spotlight to ignore the backup drive and make sure to tell your backup program to ignore the .SpotlightV100 folder (or whatever it's called) when cloning.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm with Applespider - I use SuperDuper! also. I back up more frequently than once a week, but I don't have a schedule of days and times to back up - it gets done on an irregular basis. I have backed up my system twice or even three times in one day before.

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Related question from a newbie (at some things!). I have used CCC to clone to an external HD. Works fine. Now with Tiger and CCC not playing nice, if I want to try some other method/application to make a back up, will it just make another file on the external, or do I need to erase the external first (and how would I do that?) or what?

Thanks in advance!

8. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Retrospect

I use the ~$90 version of Retrospect to incrementally back up my drive to an external drive every evening. I've used Retrospect for years and it's served me well.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The free version of SuperDuper! takes care of the erasing and cloning part for you. The only problem is that SuperDuper! lacks a scheduling function like the one CCC has.

10. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm going to make a plug for Chronosync. I've been using it for about 6 months now, it's practically a set-and-forget deal.

Mac 360 reviewed it a few weeks ago

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Chronosync sounds like just the application I was looking for to replace CCC. Unfortunately, it costs $30.00 to buy, which I don't feel like spending right now (it wasn't all that long ago that I bought SuperDuper!, and I'd hate to switch so soon).

12. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

Leverage the unix tools

10.4 has tar, cpio, and dump/restore. If you're a little brave and have a spare drive or a media burner you can use those to create backups for free. In fact, this looks like the perfect job for Automator and dump.

I think I'll give it a try. :D