backup to CD utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ifjake, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    i know there are a bunch of backup utilities out there, but does anyone know if any of them have a backup to CD option so that i could backup something like my user folder in one fell swoop instead of having to drag and drop trying to figure out when the CD is full? i guess there needs to be some kind of restore capability as well.

my thought is, you pick a folder you want to be backed up, the program says "alright, you're going to need like 3 or 4 CDs to back that up" and then you press okay and it burns away, asking for you to put in a new CD whenever it runs out of space. then one day when you decide that you want to delete your whole user folder on accident, you put in the first backup CD which acts like the installer CD, and the backup program jumps into action and restores your files for you, asking for the next CD whenever you're finished with the one you got, the end result being a folder on your hard drive that is an exact copy of the one you backed up back when. anything out there that does something like that? 'cause that would be very handy.
  2. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I do believe TheLittleAppFactory is working on a totally comprehensive backup utility. Previews suggest that it will kill a lot of the competition =) But yes, in the meantime, I cannot help you :p
  3. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    cool thanks i'll keep an eye out for it. it turns out that Apple actually makes something called Backup that might do what i'm looking for, but i think i'd have to get .Mac for it to work. .Mac needs to come down to half as much, especially if i have to get it every year to keep it going, before i would get it. Apple has a thing about charging huge amounts of dollars though. i wish they'd get over it.