backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gonnabuyamac, Feb 13, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

I should probably just search the forums, but sometimes asking is easer. I'm a recent Mac switcher, and just realized that it would be a good idea to backup my computer. On Windows there was a system restore, and a way to create backup disks.

Is there anything like that in a Mac?

Thanks!

2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

If you have .Mac, you can get Backup for free, but it's not so great. There's Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner, and some others...

If you can hold out, though, Leopard the new OS coming soon will have Time Machine and you won't have to think about it, as it'll happen automatically.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I use a great program called "Personal Back Up" made by a company called Intego. It's quick and easy to use.

FJ

4. leemason macrumors newbie

It's always good when backing up your data to make sure that your backups are sent to another location offsite from your home/office. So backup to some sort of removable media or use a online backup service to move your backups to a remote server on the Internet.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I find the Apple backup program pretty good. Just type backup in spotlight and have a play, it makes it nice and easy to select what files you'd like to make copies of and set up a schedule.