Backup

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, May 17, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hey

I was just wondering how often you guys back up your computer? I back up all the macs I work on every 2 days onto AIT and a full backup on Sunday night on to DLT.

Ensign

2. gerror macrumors 6502

I must confess I never backup. Only schoolprojects

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Yeah, that was me buggering up, I started with a poll about a backup but forgot to add the poll, so I changed it to another thread I was about to start about Jags House, but then I realised you posted so I changed it back, but without the poll.

Sorry :)

Ensign

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I back up every couple of weeks. I'm just like nearly everyone with a computer - I should back up more frequently, but I just don't. I think I'll get a 2nd HD to stick in my machine. It can be my 10.2 drive and my backup drive.

Man, what's with HD prices? I bought an 80 Gig about 3 months ago, and now the same drive is almost 1/2 the price. I hate that.

It's almost impractical to buy anything less than 40 Gig now. A lot of 20 Gig drives are more expensive than their 40 Gig siblings!

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Backup

I backup once a month, I burn my stuff onto CDs I don't have alot of files at the moment, besides all my iMovie stuff is on tapes.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Important work gets backed up everyday onto my external 80Gb firewire drive (40Gb used), anything that I don't need such as test renders etc. get deleted.

On my TiBook I like to keep as much freespace as possible so that when I take work to clients I have more than enough space to work at their offices, although I'm down to my last 1.47Gb on my TiBook, but now that I've got all the Macromedia MX software and Illustrator 10 on the way, as well as Photoshop 7 that I received yesterday and After Effects 5.5 and FCP 3 within the next week, I'm seriously considering flattening my machine and doing a full re-install, and make OSX my main system (currently OSX is on it's own 2Gb partition) and running OSX and OS 9.2.2 on the same partition and start using OSX natively........:D

I just need Macromedia to release Director for OSX then I'm away and completely OSX native!!! :D

7. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I back up some stuff using a script but I really don't see much point in consumers (like me) backing up..what's the chance that somethings going to happen? I've never lost anything in all my years...except when I lose cds in my room or something :D

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I do the same as macmaniac. Once a month i burn my files to cd, and file them away. I also tend to reinstall my system at the same time. That way it stays 'fresh', and gives me a chance to remove any junk that might have installed itself without my consent.

It's easier to do it this way when all you have is a 20GB hard drive. If i had more stuff..... basically i wouldn't do it this way. Probably get an external HD or DVD burner.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I am kind of lazy when it comes to backing up material on my computer. Before I got my iPod I used to do it only once every two or three months, maybe longer.

Before I go on vacation this summer, I plan to transfer everything I need onto my iPod, along with my CD-RW for other purposes. (No, I don't use that much Hard Drive space. I use maybe 4 or 5 GB of files, just enough to fill the iPod to the brim.) And I will use the CDs for any other smaller files I want to combine into a 700MB disk.

With an iPod, backing up data seems more fun and faster than a CD-RW. :)

10. Choppaface macrumors 65816

once or twice a month I throw everything important onto CDs. everything else can just be reinstalled if something goes wrong

11. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

QUESTION!!

which is the best = cheap, easy-to-use, backup software?

i have a cd-rw drive, and i would like to make backups with cd-rws.

any ideas, guys?

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

er... .Mac Backup? I havn't used it myself but it looks pretty good. You can customise what directories get backed up etc.