Bad 10.2 Install Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BicyclePunk, Sep 22, 2002.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

I think I really screwed the pooch on this one. Went to install/upgrade to Jaguar on my iBook. It was taking a really long time, I left and came back and there was text on the screen....looked like it was over the background somehow. The last line, of what looked like some serious deep level code stuff, read "kernel panic" lock-up. Couldn't do anything. Had to take the battery off to shut it down. And I can't boot from the cd...but I don't think I'm doing the right thing. The same screen with the kernel stuff keeps coming up after I turn it back on. Anything I can do to at least get 10.1.5 back up? Thanks in advance.

2. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

please try rebooting while holding the "c" key down and post your results here

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I agree with buffsldr...

Reboot from the CD and reinstall, choosing a clean install (aka. reformat).

4. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

why would you tell him to reformat? how do
    you know if he has all his data backed up first.

im not sure if its necessary to reformat but
    if you do try to do a plain old update to your
    system software just so you can get back to
    your files. THEN backup your important files
    and settings...dont forget your mailboxes and
    calendar and addressbook files. After that
    you can reformat if necessary.

5. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Now it is really screwy. I was able to boot from the CD...I guess. I could start the installation process, but when I got to the point where I had to choose the disk where I need to install, I couldn't choose the disk from the iBook because it says "You cannot install Mac OS X on this disk. An earlier version of Mac OS X is not installed." I assume this is because I tried to boot from the Jaguar disk and not the 10.1 disk. Right?

And no worries about the clean install. I am doing all of this on my iBook to work out all these bugs. Not a problem if I have to clean install. As long as I don't have to do it on my desktop.

Thanks.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That message means that you are using an upgrade disk of 10.2 and not the full version. So you have to install 10.1 on your HD first, then you can install 10.2.

7. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'll try to boot from the original 10.1 disk and then try again with Jaguar. I'll post again if it screws up.

8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

hi, just to let you know that i had to do a clean install...i mean a reformat
    and then reinstall. but after i did that my system wasn't as sticky. Now im
    in the middle of seeing how my system runs with just photoshop and norton
    antivirus installed. by the way...after i installed norton antivirus and restarted,
    my system said that a file was damaged and that if i choose to click "OK" and
    continue to work with this file, my systems security could be compromised. So
    i chose "dont use" (or something to that effect) and I uninstalled the "Auto
    protect" from norton antivirus, and then rebooted back into OSX. THEN all of
    the sudden, my first click after the restart, I tried to open my Macintosh HD icon
    that i have sitting on the desktop. The animation was WAY sticky again. it
    displayed a small 1.25"x.5" window of the contents of the icon and then a couple
    seconds later the window popped open to full view. it should of smoothly zoomed
    into full view. again this only happened after i installed norton ant-virus after
    a reformat and re-install.

9. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. I think I'm going to wait a while before I mess with installing Jaguar on my everyday, very important, can't afford to go without, desktop G4. I need an easy and seamless install there. Thanks.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That's a problem with Norton you should have clicked use anyway. It wouldn't have compromised your security. I personally think that Norton on OSX is too invasive and even though I just purchased SystemWorks2.0 a few weeks ago am not using it because of what it wants to do to the system when you install it.

11. hsilver macrumors regular

Loading Jaguar

I've installed 10.2 and 10.2.1 on 2 systems. Now each has it's own pecular bugs and hang-ups. One was running 10.15 with no problems.

Go to Apple's discussion pages. There are at least a thousand reports of havoc being wreaked on systems and applications by OSX 10.2.

One hypothesis for the worst problems is that 10.2 is messing up hard drive formatting. So the worst problems come from reformatting a hard drive.

I have never seen such a mess in upgrading a Mac system.

12. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

I had to scrub and reinstall last weekend and had a weirdo problem. I used disk tools to create 3 partitions (system, storage, and system backup). Quite Disk tools and was prompted to pick a drive to install to. But there were no volumes shown. The fix for this was to restart and go through it all again. Just wonder why there was no prompt to restart....

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Loading Jaguar

Gee, I've seen just the opposite in that the only way to install 10.2 is with a freshly formatted hard drive. Also I have seen worse upgrades in the past in system stability remember the early 8.x series. Also it was know well before 10.2 came out that it would break many programs.

I still say the biggest problem he is having is Norton. I have installed it and I have removed it on my system with 10.2. When the notice comes up saying that the file may not be safe you have to say use anyway or it will screw the pooch.

14. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

well everything is ok so far

i havent used norton at all but everything seems ok.
    im just gonna throw norton out and continue. im
    actually trying to sell my tibook on ebay. i got one
    interested partie. i think i'll be happer with a dual 867
    anchor instead of the mobile laptop. mobility didn't turn
    out to be such a necessity for me. Im asking 2000 for it.
    and hoping for 2200. wish me luck :D

15. mmcneil macrumors regular

Re: well everything is ok so far

What version Tibook?

Norton was giving me fits with the "Update" but seems to be working fine now that I did a clean install and a LIveUpdate.