Bad airport extreme card?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vkapoormd, Aug 10, 2004.

1. vkapoormd macrumors member

For the past few weeks, i have had trouble connecting my Powerbook (15" Alu, 1.25ghz) with my D link router (DI 624); after my computer has been asleep or away for a few hours, i come home and try to connect and my computer tells me there was "an error joining the selected network", despite it being displayed on the airport menu of available networks; on the flip side, i am easily able to connect to my airport express module (which i use primarily for streaming itunes) at any time. I have changed out the router for a new one, but the problem persists. the only way i can fix it is to unplug the router for a few seconds and then plug it back it in; my powerbook then easily joins the D link network. This is strange considering i have been using this router for several months previously. :confused:

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

This actually happens to me periodically with my Netgear wireless router... My only solution is to unplug the router, then plug it back in, wait, and then it works. However, I have been in situations where I have not been using *my* router, and dont' have access to it. Therefore, when this happens, I am out of luck. No amount of restarting/logging in/out will work.

Solution? :confused:

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Go to the DLink support page. Make sure you have the LATEST Firmware for your model. Often the Air Port Extreme cards are very sensitive to the firmware in DLink and LinkSys routers.

Also, in general, DLink has a less than stellar reputation for proven reliability with its routers.

Odds are you can help matters with a firmware update. And if that does not help, I would think its more to blame on the Dlink device than the card.

4. MacFi macrumors newbie

Similar

I was getting something similar.

Although I also noticed that when the network died, the signal strength was zero (I have posted seperately about this).

However, I have no problem with a Windows XP/IBM/Centrino laptop at all, which has been fine for MONTHS ! so you can't blame the router...

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Actually, you can blame the router. Many windows cards are less compliant to the standards. While Apple products are VERY compliant.

Its a double edged sword. Apple looks like the bad guy, yet they adhere to the 802.11b/g rules better and their products are the ones that appear broken.

Take a peek at the firmware versions and make sure. If you want it to work with a Mac, they must be up to date.

It still could be the airport card, but they should fail totally and completely (most wifi cards don't breakdown, they totally stop working) so I still feel its a config issue or the router firmware.

6. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

so i updated the firmware, and so far, so good, but it's just been a few hours, so the real test will be the next few days; thank to all for your advice :)

7. MacFi macrumors newbie

Fair enough then. Yes I understand regarding standards...

However, this doesn't explain why it just works fine, but with extremely low signal strength? For example, if I sit the mac within 2 metres of the router, everything is fine. No drop outs or anything. However the signal meter still only says about 30%. As I move away, obviously it drops off to nothing.

Any ideas?

Doesn't sound like a firmware thing to me?

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

This reminds me of the constant difference that mozilla and safari has with IE. The other 2 browser adhere to the standards whereas IE is the rogue browser with their own ideas but still many developers uses IE as the standard.