Bad Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Storrow, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Storrow macrumors regular

ive recently noticed that when my battery gets low on my macbook, the computer just shuts off. before when the battery got low the computer would just go to sleep. did i change a setting somehow? could it be something wrong with my battery? if anyone knows anything about this id much appreciate some info, thanks!

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I remember hearing that the 15" and 17" MacBooks and PowerBooks have a small internal backup battery that can maintain sleep for short periods of time in order to facilitate hot-swapping of batteries.

If this is true, it may be that your internal battery is kaput.

3. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I believe that is true, because that's the way it is on the powerbooks.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The MacBooks and MacBook Pros go into safe sleep when the battery is removed in sleep mode. Takes ~30 seconds max. to restore themselves. 15" and 17" PowerBooks have a ~1 minute battery to support battery swapping.

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

It is most definitely the battery.

When Apple did the MBP battery exchange, I decided to keep my old battery. I continued to use the old battery, and eventually this exact problem crept up on me. After the 3rd time, once I figured it was the battery and not the mbp, I heard a loud hissing come from around the battery after the MBP just shut off. I started using the new battery Apple had sent and the problem went away. I recommend you stop using that battery ASAP.

6. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

I'll get apple to replace the battery. Thanks for the help!