Bad Blind Date? Cell Phone to the rescue!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Neserk, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's the modern version of a technique my brother and I used if we were having trouble dismissing an insistent door-to-door salesperson. Whichever of us wasn't being victimized at the door would dial ring-back to make the phone ring and then call the other to "an important phone call".

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Our local news station just did a story on this last evening. Your system is much more cost effective Doctor Q. The cost ranged from $0.35/call to $4.95/month. Just another way for the phone companies to make money. Most interviewed thought that this was a good idea.

4. rock6079 macrumors 6502

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So it's $0.35 for a single bail-out, or $4.95 for the entire month? Whoa, how many bad dates do people go on per month? :p

6. acceber macrumors regular

Hmm, I do see a downside. Everytime you go on a date and then the phone rings and you gotta "dash off" somewhere. The poor date will probably know that their date used this call service. Even if it was a genuine urgent call, they'd probably still be thinking that.

7. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

lol... I never dated that much so I can't imagine needing a per month rate :p

8. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I could save myself some money and just set the alarm on my phone to go off at a certain time and have it use the same sound that I set as my ring tone. I could fake a conversation too. If the date is going well just turn the alarm off.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And with only 8 excuses, some people may hear the same excuses every month. ;) So maybe this bail-out is also meant to be used with people that you happen to find annoying that night. Maybe family gatherings, dinner with parents and uncles, friends that are annoying you, etc. Thats the only reason to pay that much per month.

:eek:

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Just imagining the phone call as heard by the date...

"Hello?"

"Yes, yes, I do."

"Uh, no, not that one."

"No, I don't have a roomate either."

"Yes, my father's still alive."

"Oh, that's a good one."

"What? My father's in jail? He needs me to go bail him out? I'll be there right now. Thanks."

Subtle. Perhaps you fill out a personal info packet to get custom excuses...
    ;)