Bad Bluetooth on Mac-Mini?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Squidly, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Squidly macrumors member

Squidly

Is it just me or is Bluetooth (combo wireless/bluetooth) really awful on the Mac-Mini? I have a wireless keyboard with new batteries and I can't get more than 1 1/2 feet from my mini before it starts dropping or screwing up everything that I type.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, I can't believe it's actually supposed to work like this.

2. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

mine works flawlessly! The only gripe i have is with the S*** mac 1 button mouse. Infact my wireless is so good I'm picking up someones wireless network signal from across the street!

3. Squidly thread starter macrumors member

Squidly

The wireless aspect works just fine on my Mini. It's the bluetooth that seems to be struggling. At the edge of its range (again, 1 1/2 feet) the keyboard does some really strange things. Duplicating characters, delays between what you type coming out, etc. An inch beyond that range and it disconnects completely.
    I've got a D-Link dongle I may try, but it's not like these Minis have USB ports to spare, you know?

4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Sounds like your BT module may be defective. Might be worth checking it out with support or going to the Genius Bar if you are anywhere near an Apple retail store.

I have a Mac Mini with BT/AE and I have the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse. I have never had the problems you are describing. In my current setup my mouse and keyboard are used about 2-3 feet away from the Mac Mini unit.

I also do not like the one-button mouse. It's a great mouse in terms of battery life, tracking and comfort but I pefer to at least have a right-click button and a scroll wheel - more buttons are nice to hooking up to Expose/Dashboard. I'm currently using a spare MX 510 I have but I gave the Apple wireless mouse a good 2+ months of usage before giving up on it. During that time period I had no problems.

5. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

Can you test to see if your bluetooth works about 8 feet away?

6. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

I believe BT devices are supposed to work up to 30 feet away. If you're only getting a couple of feet, I'd suspect your antenna is not working properly.

7. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Mate I've been sending music mp3 songs to my sisters mobile downstairs. Thats a more than 8 feet away and i've had no probs with my BT. Yours is most definately faults. Give the apple boys a call!

8. Squidly thread starter macrumors member

Squidly

Figured it out...

Well, I figured it out...turns out I have so much stuff in my computer room spitting out wireless signals that it was interfering with the function of my Bluetooth module. Simply powering off a wireless mouse attached to my Windows PC was enough to return functionality and range to my Mac Mini.

That mouse isn't bluetooth so I figured that it wouldn't effect my keyboard. I guess I figured wrong... :)

Thanks to those who responded. :)