Bad Combo-Drive on new 1ghz Powerbook?!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Xero, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Xero macrumors 6502

ah my first post and for a good cause.

i received my sexy new 1ghz powerbook w/ combodrive [my first Mac!] a couple weeks back, and it turns out the combo drive was completely mad so i had to send it into apple repair after having it for only 1 week! so i have a few questions/observations.

1. Has anyone else experianced this with their PB combo drives? the problem was specificly with reading burned cd's, weather they were data, audio, or burned on different media and different burners; it didnt really matter. one minute it would read a burned cd fine, the next it would take up to 10 minutes for the drive to recognize the cd or it would continuously make "searching" sounds and id have to reboot the machine! even cd's that were burned with the powerbook itsself wouldnt have any better results.

2. Can anyone tell me what "Hold-Engineering" means in the status section of the repair progress website? [hopefully someone who has sent something in before might know what this means..?]. its been in that "state" since last wednesday and makes me think theyre having problems figuring out whats wrong with it. i realize there was thanksgiving in there to slow things down, but it still seemed strange when the status went from "in repair" to "hold-engineering" and has been there ever since.

well if anyone can shed some light on all this thatd be great, otherwise i just thought id share my "wonderfull" first experiences with my new PB. :rolleyes:

thanks!

[edit] oh yeah another strange thing is that the PB came preloaded with iDVD! even the tech-support guy i talked to on the phone thought that was really bizzarre. [/edit]

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Apple is very quick on these things. you will have a working one in no time.

iJon

3. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502