Bad copy of iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chucknorris, Aug 10, 2005.

1. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Since getting my iBook last week it has run beautifully...until I started to rip my cd collection.

Obviously ripping cds is rather cpu intensive, but while the process is going on everything slows down to speeds comparable to my mom's dell (YUCK!). My ram is maxed out (as you can see), so its not an issue of dealing with virtual memory.

The trackpad is sluggish, I get beachballs with everything, and performance is generally terrible.

My girlfriend's powerbook hardly experiences any slowdown at all while ripping cds with the standard 512 of ram.

On top of the slowdown, iTunes being open has corresponded directly to me losing airport reception. Checking activity monitor shows that huge amounts of inactive ram are being utilized, which is supposed to be usual for OS X but is not usual based on my pre- heavy iTunes use experience with this computer.

The only solution I've found is shutting the computer down and restarting. Needless to say, this is VERY frustrating.

Is there any chance that something is screwed up with my iTunes? Anybody ever experienced anything similar? Please help!

2. Azadre macrumors 6502

Have you tried the hardware test on the os x dvd?

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What are you encoding them at? How much are you making that CPU work?

It doesn't sound like normal iTunes behaviour particularly the Airport dropping out.

Have you tried all the usual OS X hexes? Repairing permissions, dumping preference files etc?

4. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I had tried all of that, but had also forgotten something which should have been COMPLETELY obvious. I was around 5 gigs of space remaining on my hd.

From what I understand, this will slow down OS X tremendously. I checked activity monitor, and the virtual memory exceeded my free hd space... So (needless to say) I got to work deleting anything extraneous. The biggest step I've taken was running delocalizer, removing 2 gigs of languages in the process.

I'll go easy on bittorrents, etc. until my Lacie hd arrives (hopefully tomorrow), and hope this has solved my problem.

I appreciate all of the help as always!

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Funnily enough, I was going to suggest that and then reread your post and realised you'd only had it a week so didn't bother... ah well!

Glad you have it working now!

6. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Hahaha! :p

Well, you'd think somebody couldn't fill a 60-gig hd in a week's time, but I'm-uh special...

:D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you transmitted that thought telepathically.

Thanks again, Applespider and have a pleasant day.