Bad Day W/ Mac and Windows - Which was worse?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yojitani, Jan 9, 2006.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Windows of course. With mac I just found out that although my optical drive can burn DVD+R's, it can't READ them. Lame, yes. What were they thinking? Now I have 100GB's of inaccessible files (well, I can get them on an OLDER Mac!), but all I have to do is switch out the drive bay - easy.

But Windows! I'm posting just to vent... sorry... So I spent the entire day building 2 ppt presentations - first with Keynote then into ppt. Did the export, a few glitches on my ppt, but nothing major. Fixed it, thought I was done. But just for the final check, I popped the ppts. into a Windows XP machine since it will be used at a windows only institution and IT COULDN'T READ ANY OF THE FONTS I USED:mad: . It looked terrible. It translated copperplate as courier! Can you imagine?! 72 point Courier on your title page?!:eek: No wonder Windows is so ugly! It's funny though, isn't it, that people like windows because of the 'choice' it offers, but it can't deal with a few simple fonts beyond Times New Roman and Arial! ... And, just for fun I poked around windows font sites and found that copperplate, just the one set, will set you back $80!

Lesson: If you want to play games and help Bill Gates, get an x-box. If you want to use a computer, get a mac (or use Linux? haven't tried.).

Rant over. Now to change all those fonts. :eek:

YOJ

2. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Ah yes, The Joy of Fonts

One indispensable tool is TransType by Font Lab ($180)
    http://www.fontlab.com/Font-tools/TransType/

Hope this tid bit of info has/will help :eek:

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Thanks! Looks good, though I don't know about $180 if it's still demo stages. Fortunately, I don't have to convert very often. Just so happens that my 'boss' is in Hong Kong and is giving two talks at windows only facilities. He has a PB with him, but I guess he can't just connect it to the projector. These situations come up from time to time though - perhaps the TransType would be worthwhile.

YOJ