Bad, Disapointing Movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I know there are a lot out there that don't live up to their hype, or even lack of it, but I just saw Planet of the Apes last night. OMG, what a piece of crap. It was a great original movie with Mr. NRA (Heston), funny and somewhat predictable seeing him as an ape in this version. But the acting was pathetic, Richard Burton usually comes up with a better movie, at least a little odder than most. This wasn't it. More like a sell out to Hollywood.

The story line sucked, the year is 2029 and we're orbiting another planet in a solar system far away? Year right, we'll be lucky to have a permanently manned station on Mars by then. And how does he get back home to Earth and its run by Apes, I hope they don't do a POTA 2, pathetic. I just hate it when movies use bad science.

Anyone got any others?

2. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

mission to mars.

considering the budget and cast... and how good it "should" have been

it was so bad it was funny... which shouldn't be the case with big budget hollywoods...

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That was pathetic, I went to see it myself, late night, knowing I would have a hard time getting someone to go with me. The end scene with the Martians was way too silly.

The Red Planet, on the other hand was a pretty good movie, much better and nicely done, stayed true to the science as well (mostly).

4. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I honestly thought Vanilla Sky was pretty terrible...

the plot was lame...it kept shifting...unreliable narrator...very non-linear...

I think Tom Cruise tried a little too hard to be "artistic" with that one... :rolleyes:

5. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What! I liked Vanilla Sky, very strange and not knowing till the end what was going on was a nice touch. Because if you went back and saw it again there would be all sorts of clues that it was actually happening. Those are the type of movies I like the most, actually

6. macrumors member

I'm with you on that one eye

I thought vanilla sky was terrible. The shifting in time and narrating was horrendous.

7. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

there was a lot of foreshadowing...but it just had no significance in my opinion...

plus that sex scene...very disturbing... :eek:

but I've been known to like a movie after seeing it a second time...so maybe I'd be willing to see it again to be open to a different thought on it...

8. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: I'm with you on that one eye

Sometimes nonlinear is good. I like that type of thing, personally, so I liked the movie. It wasn't the best movie ever, but I'd see it again.

9. macrumors 68030

britboy

A really dire movie recently was Zoolander. There were a few good scenes ("it needs to be... at least 4 times bigger"!), but apart from that it just made me cringe.

Planet of the Apes was just way too predictable. I'm with duke of that one. The original was far superior in terms of the story line and acting.

10. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ohhhhh snap!!!!

no. no.

you're kidding.. hahaha. that's good... ohh yeah, dont worry folks. he's only kidding... haha... ahhh.

right? please?

11. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: Zoolander

I haven't seen it yet...I've heard it's stupid funny though...which I tend to really laugh a lot...

some people couldn't stand Dumb & Dumber...but I fall out of my seat everytime I see it...he he he :D

12. macrumors G3

I think Planet Of The Apes wasn't the greatest of films........ but I liked Vanilla Sky....... particularly that Black Ferrari 250 GTO very nice indeed....... :D

As for disapointing films....... well, pretty much every Halloween film after the original sucked..... I liked Halloween 3, Season of the witch.... but it would have been better had it not been named Halloween........

13. macrumors regular

Re: Bad, Disapointing Movies

I totally agree, and not only that, in the new version all the humans talked? In the original only the Astronauts talked and could communicate with the apes...so why are the humans inferior in new version then? err....made no sense to me.

14. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Zoolander was hilarious, come on!

The files are in the computer......

It was a terrible waste of an iMac though....

15. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ok..another...

don't flame me too much...

but I really thought "Unbreakable" was a piece of sh*t...

16. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just saw it again for the second time. It wasn't great and a little too slow. Bruce's character was not the brightest guy in the world, methodical, had a hard time coming to a decision. I would liked to have seen him a little more sure of himself, take more initiative, instead of just seeming to walk through the movie....

17. macrumors 6502a

Dignan

So far as anyone talkin smack about zoolander....

You know what you can do?

You can dera-lick...my balls....

18. macrumors 68030

britboy

No no, i was serious. That scene (and the one mentioned by duke) are the only one's i found funny in the whole movie. The rest was utter crap.

Unbreakable... that was anothe v. dissappointing movie, you got that right eye (or hglm :p)

19. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Now that I think of it, there are some all time greats

Kevin Costner - WaterWorld and The Postman

OMG, what a friggin waste of money....

20. macrumors 68030

mischief

Episode 2: The Fanboy's revenge

E2 was ****.

Sam Jackson, Frank Oz, Ewan MacGregor carried it.

Story was TOO TIGHT around the 2 least beleavable characters.

Politics and intreague were indecipherable to the non-fanboy.

Weapons handling was embarassing.

21. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're allowed your own opinion, I loved it. It was a good ride, no JarJar, drew the whole story together a little more and everything is sort of falling in place, can't wait to see E3

22. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it was just weak all together...Bruce Willis' character had almost zero depth despite his abilities...

and Samuel L. Jackson's character...it was just horrible at the end...

23. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, the ending was kind of poor, SJ wasn't crazy enough. They could have done a lot more with the concept. Oh, well. That's the way it goes.

24. macrumors 68030

mischief

Hah, fooled you.

Actually I, myself liked most of it. That was the Siskel and Ebert style consensus from myself and my wife. I'm a minor fanboy with background in theatre, FX, Fencing, Theatrical Makeup, Acting and wrting. I only really had a problem with the rather wooden lovestory and the bad weapons handling.

My wife, on the other hand is not Fanboy enough to go to starwars.com and look up all the stuff and people ahead of time so she was completely lost. She's also been a peace officer so the poor weapons handling and tactics really got on her nerves.

Gotta say, from a Fencer's prospective: 2 lightsabers on 1 is no contest at all.

25. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: re: Zoolander

well you should like a lot then.... check it out for sure.

and yeah, to britboy:

"who you tryin to get crazy with esse, don't you know i'm loco????"

you're just a brit who thinks that the queen mum is funnier than owen wilson. it's cool.

as for kevin costner: i enjoyed the postman. it was long and slow. but i thought it was good. i like costner, despite the terrible reviews he's gotten with his last.... 10 movies or so.

oh well