Bad external hard drive :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonat8, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jonat8 macrumors regular

I've just bought a brand new external hard drive that I'm having serious problems with.

It's a 200GB USB model and for some reason I can only copy some files over to it. Some folders from Macintosh HD copy fine, on some folders the external drive spins down after copying about 20Mb of them (Every time I try).

Also when reading files back, some files will refuse to open and lock the machine up. The associated app opens, but it's like it can't read the file from the disk. Whereas some files open perfectly. If the file won't open, I have to power the drive off to get the system to respond again.

Disk Images won't mount either, it just hangs the DiskImageMounter app and I have to power the drive off to get the system going again. I can't extract the contents of compressed files to there either (again, hangs the archive utility)

The drive is connected directly to a USB2 port on my PowerBook. It's formatted in one large HFS+ partition. The volume passes verification in Disk Utility.

It sounds to me like a bad hard drive and a trip back to the store to get it changed but is there any utility I can use to make sure it's a physical problem rather than a configuration problem with my Mac? I can't verify SMART status, in System Profiler it just says "Not Supported". Obviously I don't want to copy anything important over to it unless I'm sure it's working properly!

tia :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Doesn't sound good. Is it USB only? Can you try it with Firewire?

3. Switzermac macrumors regular

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Try reformatting it, and then possibly maybe running DiskWarrior and/or Tech Tool Pro.