Bad Journalism?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mpw, Nov 7, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    If there’s one thing I can’t stand* it’s poor journalism.

I know it’s not an important story but why write crap just to fill some column inches.

So a company with one 18seat aircraft, maybe two in the future, with a twice daily service is planning to carry 75,000 passengers a year, er how?

Even if the 2nd aircraft appears overnight and you say the twice daily service is 100% full every trip every day 7/365 that’s still just over 50,000 seats sold, is he planning on 7people standing in the aisles each trip?

Either the journalist is picking figures at random or they haven’t bothered to check anything they’ve been told by the airline publicist is possible let alone true.[/rant]

*and there isn't, there's lots.
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    If there's one thing I can't stand*, it's Comic Sans.

* there isn't that much else really. ;)
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    It's math versus journalism ...

You are asking somebody that probably has trouble filling out an expense report, to try to solve one of those mathmatical word problems -- and flush out the errors.

Not gonna happen.
  4. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Two words and it all goes away forever.;)
  5. Lau Guest

Amen. :D

By the way mpw, your link goes back to your post, implying that your post is bad journalism. Bad typography maybe, but not journalism. ;)
  6. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    That'll be because I'm an idiot. Fixed.:eek:
  7. Lau Guest

Hmm, on further investigation, there's another news story here that says 75,000 passengers as well.

Maybe he writes his own press releases? :p
  8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    By getting a charter company to do it for them :)
  9. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    75,000 Passengers, 2 aircraft, = 37,500 passengers per year per aircraft.

Average 15 passengers per flight = 2,500 flights per year (per aircraft).

If trips run 6 days per week, that's 8 flights per day (4 round trips) to hit 75,000 passengers.

They do mention that they want to open additional routes, so 4 round trips (namely those that probably take 30-60 minutes per flight, or so it would seem) is not out of the question.

So, if they fly 4 round trips per day on each plane, 6 days a week, they would need to operate at an average capacity of about 84%.
  10. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    What two words would those be? I'll scream them....just tell me what to say!!!
  11. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Don't be so negative, seek and ye shall find;)
  12. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
  13. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Clue#2 - it's two words.