bad luck with Apple order

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by etoiles, Sep 27, 2003.

1. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

So I finally get around to buy Apple after about a year of windooze only: a tasty 12"PB with a juicy 40gig iPod. I get the ipod after about a week, the PB is supposed to ship about a week later. I decide on waiting for the PB before using the iPod, you know, do it in style. On the last day the PB is supposed to ship, the est. shipping date is moved back by another week.

Meanwhile, I can't wait any longer and decide to start using the iPod on a PC...but it doesn't really work, I can only copy a few songs accross before I get an 'iPod full' or 'disk error' message. I try to format the iPod but again, I get a 'disk error'. So now I need to send it back to Apple for repair/replacement. I was on hold on the phone for about half an hour this morning before I could talk to an Apple rep.

Man, I know it is never easy, but damn !

When I buy Apple, I pay the extra money because I want things to just work... I am a bit frustrated right now. But I realize it is probably just bad luck.

Anyway, had to vent. Thanks for listening ;)

2. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

The disk full error is happening because your PC probably is not charging the ipod as it's transferring songs... this happened to me at first too. You have to charge the ipod up before you connect it to the PC because it uses a LOT of power to transfer songs, and if the ipod runs out of juice in mid transfer, it will give you a stupid (and not useful) 'iPod is full' error. Won't be an issue once you get your Powerbook because the Apple firewire ports are powered and charge your ipod at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Alia

3. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I also suggest using Ephpod to transfer songs instead of Musicmatch, which is the big suck! It stinks... Ephpod is much better and a bit quicker. You can download it for free at http://www.ephpod.com.

Alia

4. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

whow, I wish the Apple Care people could tell me something usefull like that, thanks alia ! They just told me it was probably a disk problem and they are going to have a box shipped to me next week for pickup...

I thought the iPod was pretty much charged when I first started off, but it might have gone down after all the 'fiddling around'. I am charging it again right now and will give it another try. At least I can start it up now, instead of just looking at some esoteric folder icon.

Why doesn't the iPod issue a warning when the battery is too low ?
    Oh, well, I guess I will find out pretty soon if that was the only problem. And by the time I get my Powerbook, everything should be sorted anyway and the world will be a better place for me :)

5. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

ok, tried it again with 100% charged battery... still get a disk error when trying to format the drive.

So I guess it is going back to Apple after all... could be worse, I could be waiting for a G5 ;)

6. panphage macrumors 6502

Did you reset the ipod after charging and before trying to format? Unfortunately I forget how to reset the little guy and mine's in the car...I could remember if I was holding it...

Definitely use ephpod, ephpod I actually like better than itunes. I have to tell you though, that if you go and use your ipod under windows you'll have to reformat it to use it on your mac. Maybe not a big deal but it can be a pain. You'll have to figure out a way to get all your songs off your PC and into the powerbook (firewire target mode, networking and sharing the music folders, etc) but after that it'll be cake.

7. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

yes (you toggle the hold switch, not sure why, and then press both menu and play at the same time). I still get the 'formating failure. Disk write error' message.

I am just going to use the iPod on my mac, I was only playing around using it on the PC while waiting for the Powerbook. Once it gets in, I'll start ripping my CD music collection to .AAC.

Sounds like ephod is the way to go on the PC...I'll keep that in mind if the Powerbooks are further delayed. Cheers.

8. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

ok, just wanted to note the 'good ending' of the story.

I got my 12" a few days early yesterday AND I got my iPod back from Applecare the same day !!! I sent it off on Tuesday and got it back on Friday...Apple rocks :)

Not sure what they did to the iPod, maybe it is just because I am using it on a mac but now it works like a charm.

Life is good !
    :D