Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
That's really interesting. It's funny that even though your brain is the one controlling emotions, you really do feel a lot of things in your heart. Does anyone know why that is? Is there any biological reason for our heart to be so connected with our emotions?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Macaddicttt said:
That's really interesting. It's funny that even though your brain is the one controlling emotions, you really do feel a lot of things in your heart. Does anyone know why that is? Is there any biological reason for our heart to be so connected with our emotions?

i dont know if this is the reason, but i would guess that it would have to do with your blood-flow and the way in which your brain controls that flow, your brain regulates the flow of blood and helps keep your heart beating at a steady pace, but when something shocking happens, and your emotions in part take control of you, then you are behaving erratically, and thus the flow of blood, and the regulation of your heart can be thrown out of whack

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
PlaceofDis said:
i dont know if this is the reason, but i would guess that it would have to do with your blood-flow and the way in which your brain controls that flow, your brain regulates the flow of blood and helps keep your heart beating at a steady pace, but when something shocking happens, and your emotions in part take control of you, then you are behaving erratically, and thus the flow of blood, and the regulation of your heart can be thrown out of whack

But is there any reason for this? I mean, sure there's a reason to feel something like fear in your heart. You're scared, you need to protect yourself, you need more blood to get to your muscles so that you can run, fight, or whatever. But something like a hearing someone died? Is this just an unfortunate side affect of the confusion of your brain at the time?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Macaddicttt said:
Is there any biological reason for our heart to be so connected with our emotions?
This really doesn't come as much of a surprise... how often has something you've seen/done/heard made you feel physically sick? Proof that the after-effects of stress aren't simply psychological may help increase funding to, and awareness of PTSD.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
brap said:
This really doesn't come as much of a surprise... how often has something you've seen/done/heard made you feel physically sick? Proof that the after-effects of stress aren't simply psychological may help increase funding to, and awareness of PTSD.

No, I guess this isn't all that surprising. I was just wondering if there was a reason why. I've heard all sorts of things about stress, etc. making people feel a certain way. I just wondered if there was any biological reason.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can die just by thinking of dying. Your mind has the power to both destroy and heal your body.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Very interesting. The brain does have control over the entire body. It's a system of control via the nervous system. It effect the heart via electrical stimulation and hormones. The positive thing from the article is that the effect is temporary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.