Bad news for early xbox 360 Adopters

Discussion in 'Games' started by shadowmoses, Apr 21, 2006.

1. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Microsoft to upgrade Xbox 360 CPU

This to me seems a bit of an odd thing to do, its probably to do with all the probelms they have encountered with the initial 360's....

Apart from this it seems like a good thing, if it drives down costs and possibly would get rid of the 360's power brick it may tempt me to buy one...

ShadoW

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's not really that big of a deal. The "new" 360 will run cooler and use less power and maybe faster but it's not like any game can require the new CPU.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I disagree in so much that it doesn't change anything. I have a 360 and I'm happy with it. What's the "bad news" for me?

Plus, the new versions are going to be out until 2007 -- wait a year to play the 360 and its games just to get the new version? The new version which offers no new features or change the playing experience?

The original Xbox had (at least) FIVE revisions. I had a launch date (v1.0) Xbox and sold it about a month ago for $100. That's several years of gaming goodness with no difference in play from v1.1 -- v1.5 owners.

So I'm not seeing the "bad news."

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It will not affect current owners. CPU speed will remain the same, just it runs a little cooler. Well whoopedy doo...

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Hey once my current 360 don't bite the big one i could care less....but nice find though.

Bless

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

One possibility with upgrading componants would be to upgrade the graphics circuitry and up the AA to 4x or summat likewise

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Actually, the last was a 1.6 Version (I had a 1.1 (modded) and a 1.6).

But I do know what you mean. I should be getting my THIRD 360 from MSFT today in the mail. The second one they sent me froze like the first one I got.

So, I'll just keep sending it back as long as I have to.

8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Okay, that officially sucks. :mad:

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Bad news, where? IBM make a chip that runs cooler, the second rev of the 360 are quieter and probably cheaper. Anyone remember the fat PS2 and then the skiny one? This stuff happens all the time.

If anything it is good news for current owners your machine has the over heating problem they replace it with one with the new CPU. My 360 runs perfectly btw so can't say I care at all.

Nothing to see here move along.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think it's bad news for the early adopters. It's better news for later adopters; but then again, it always is. Cheaper prices, fewer problems.

Plus I suppose it would also be friendlier to electric bills.

Aren't they also releasing a higher capacity HDD? And knocking it down $100? Thats good. I'll give MS a little cheer of support.

... More HDD space because they plan on downloading full games perhaps?

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

microsoft will start putting HD-DVD drives in 360's soon thus they are going to need to put a HDMI connection on the 360 that supports HDCP, and while they are at it they will probably support 1080p and that requires more cpu brunt and faster hardware, thus the revision.

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Microsoft has stated HD-DVD would come as a drive-only addon.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yes for current 360's but 360's manufactured past that date will have the drives built in.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I haven't heard any news or rumors about that. Where did you hear of it?

It just doesn't seem like something MS would want to do... if not simply for the extra production cost (plus further dividing the userbase).

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Peter Moore announced during the Microsoft keynote at CES that they would be releasing an external HD-DVD drive for the 360, they also said back in December they had no plans to replace the internal drive.

If this information has changed since CES I can't seem to see anything about it on line, so link please?

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If it offered higher performance and lower power consumption and heat, Microsoft would likely underclock it to the current levels of performance and get even BETTER power consumption while retaining compatability.

17. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I'm gonna wait for the 65nm jump to buy mine.

I really dont want to have to send them back and forth. o_O It'd get old real fast.

Plus then I like the less heat/less electrictity, any Marylander would know what I'm talking about. >.< BGE (our electric company) is planning to make the rates go up 70 percent.

Damn Bitchy Grumpy and Evil. -.-

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I had a problem with 1 360. since getting it returned a-new from M$ I've had no lockups or freezes from my 2 xbox 360's. Even when they've been working for hours at at time.

I can't imagine the Ps3 with it's 7 core cell, Nvidia GPU, 60GB HD & BluRay (after all have you seen the size of standalone bluray players) is not going to have its own share of heat failures. I just hope they are able to provide as good a customer service as M$. In the past when I've had a problem with Sony hardware, they've been very very awkward.

Yep probably. Either way there's no way speed is going to increase for users regardless :)

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah that's my guess as well...

i think it's great news for late adopters (as usual) now it's gonna be interesting if they can release a cheap hd-dvd drive ... if it' any close to the rumored 100$ then it's gonna be tough for sony

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Perhaps it was already posted here, but I had heard Sony was having problems fitting the PS3 hardware in that case they've been showing off. Evidently there is just not enough space.

Maybe PS3 will come out bigger then Xbox1, heheh.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Way I see it, Sony should drop the Vaio line and make the Playstation line a breed of super computer/console. Right now (or as it's hyped) it's a powerful console that can run Linux. I reckon they should get Windows or another OS installed on the machine and ship it as a superpowered, yet low cost (compared to other PC's) computer. Especially if the thing has case issues.

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You've uncovered their master plot! Merge their console and PC product line into one behemoth and take over both industries at once!

Now they should just team up with Apple and get the systems some actual style... and run Mac OS X (only optimized for excellent OpenGL/etc performance).

23. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Halo 3
    Price Cut

Now the Master Cheif may not be back this year but there will be a price cut after the lauch of the Rev and PS3.

The target audience of the 360 maybe in their 20's and 30's, but these people also have Mortgagues.

Which for me is £575 a month.

So, price cut please.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Gees that's a hefty mortgage to take out on an xbox 360 ;)
    :D :D

Seriously though, I agree with you. Not so much on hardware, after all they're already losing a ***** load of money per unit sold (this isn't like a VCR or DVD player) so I dont mind paying for the hardware. But the software is just plain ridiculous. We pay 70 - 75 Euro in Ireland for an xbox 360 game. Thats like $85-92 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Unfortunetly I dont see price for games dropping soon as BluRay is more expensive to manufacture and hence will probably retail around the same price point. Maybe then we will have a 10-15 euro drop on each game making multiplatform games appear much cheaper on the 360 and hence more desirable (after all theyre gonna look the same gtaphics wise regardless)...

25. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Well i was really tempted back in December, but lets be brutally honest, i was more intrested in the hardware and not the software.

Which is not good.

At all.