Bad news for iPod users - RIAA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by e-coli, Sep 11, 2003.

1. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Someone will crack these too. And if they don't, someone will sue the RIAA for infringing on fair use rights. Are these RIAA nuts trying to kill the music business? If they keep this up I'm gonna have to find some legal way of protesting their arrogance maybe purchase music only through indie labels and stuff. I already won't buy any Metallica crap since Lars went off on his "I'm not rich enough!" tantrum.

3. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I will stick with iTMS

No more CDs for me, iTunes Music store is good enough for me.

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

why the **** would you try and sell more units of your product by making it do less!!!!!!

THEY ARE COMPLETELY INSANE!!!! not to mention just STUPID!! If they could just get ALL of there songs on a respectable service like itunes.....ugh

i don't understand why they would fight for more restrictions on there product like DRM. why?? uh those greedy little...argh!!!

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh man, if they are really in WMA format I'm sure not buying any of those disks. Not for anything.

6. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

this is pretty pathetic. when will they realize that continuing to sh*t on your customers is no way to save your business?

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What the RIAA should do if they really care about the artists they would stop clinging to the CD media and the would try to convince artists to allow their music to be posted on online music stores to promote song sales.

Instead of trying to make a product that is useful-proof, they should develop new technologies that make their product more enticing to the public. Whatever happened to the technology I heard about before the RIAA decided to **** over the consumer. DVD Audio or something like that, it was like the music recorded in full 5.1 sound and you could play it in your DVD player, and it had all the music videos, or they were even working on special headphones that would allow you to experience the 5.1 sound on the go. Even though I just bought a new iPod, I would gladly go out and spend the money on a portable DVD Audio disc player, and DVD Audio discs if they were developed. Rip-proof CDs just, ACK, that really pisses me off. :mad: :mad:

I have only one question to ask...

Where's the RIAA headquartes, so that I can go urinate on their front door. :mad:

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The stupidest thing is that these methods have already been tried and proven to be of no use, actually helping the decline in CD sales. Why do they want to go against the customers? Why? WHY!????

Ugh... I need to go watch Monty Python or listen to some George Carlin or something...

irmongoose

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

10. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

The RIAA is so stupid it is a shame.

1. The customer wants to listen to music he buys WHEREEVER he likes.
    2.This includes computer-CD-ROMs
    3. Copy protection disables this feature --> people use P2P to get the songs where maybe the protection has been circumvented

4. I wont buy CDs with copy protection
    5. I want iTMS in Europe
    6. Strict DRM habits will continue to drive the people towards P2P services
    7. iTMS is tremendously successful

AND THEY DONT GET IT... WAAAHHH

11. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

hopefully someone can build a good case against them for violating fair use...but I guess with the DMCA fair use has been neutered. have those laws been modernized yet? i guess i should go read the DMCA.... maybe someone more knowledgable can enlighten me?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It becomes a doorstop. I barely use mine anymore, between the DVD/CD player, and my computer hooked up to my stereo, I rarely feel the need to actually use my 5disc changer. Oh well.

13. jadariv macrumors regular

I don't even have a working cd player anymore.

Is this going to mean I will have to go out and buy a new one if I want the music on one of these new cd's?

I work with guys in the record industry and one of them told me the other day that some of them predicted all this file sharing stuff was coming way back in '83 (although they didn't know to what extent or what technology would be used).

It's just like big business america to sit on it's big wealthy butt and not adapt and move forward.

14. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

Acording to the artcle, your cd player will work just fine with the copy protected cd's.

But your iPod will be relegated to the useless technology file.

[​IMG]

Not good news for Apple. It may be the death knell for QuickTime and AAC.

15. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Vote with your wallet

In Australia these Copy-Protected Audio Discs (they are not CDs) have been on the market for some time. Because of the format I have missed out on the latest releases from Massive Attack and Radiohead. Over here I do not even have the option of the iTunes Music Store and that would only be good to me if I had an iPod (my MP3 player is by Kodak).

16. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

Re: Vote with your wallet

...isn't available on iTMS.

And most of the good new music that is available is missing a track or two. (See David Bowie's Heathen).

Don't mean to be a soothsayer, but it looks like there's major heartache ahead for us Mac folks.

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Those "dual session" discs work fine on your CD player, just not on your computer, from what I've read.

Not that I use CDs much anymore anyway: my CD-playing stereo unit is gathering dust, and I gave away my portable CD player. The first thing I do when I've bought a new CD is rip it to iTunes so I can listen to it on my iPod. If I can't do that, I won't buy a CD, period.

What I think will happen with this is what happened when RIAA have tried releasing dual-session discs before: someone will complain enough that they're labeled as such, then they won't sell. Again.

It never fails to amaze me how the recording industry continues to try to find ways to sell consumers less functionality for the same price. Where's the value proposition for the consumer, especially the legally minded ones, in buying a crippled non-CD for a CD's inflated price?

And WMA format? screw that, right there. :mad:

18. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Simple solution - A discman, a piece of audio cable, a mic/line-in port on on the computer (or even an iMic), and AudioHijack or WireTap. WireTap's even free.

No biggie. Not that I'll be buying one anyway... haven't bought a CD in months (years?) and I don't intend to start now.

19. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

They can be recorded via analog connection and then ripped. Not perfect quality and not as fast, but acceptable to me. My Ipod's not getting trashed!

20. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

What the hell!?!?! I mean, I listen to CD's exclusively on my computer, after I've ripped them into iTunes. I don't make them available for use on P2P, and....... UGH! I don't even have a CD player in my car - the only way I would listen to music in there is with an iPod!!! If I can't put music on the iPod then forget it!!!

The record labels shouldn't be so worried about DRM, or P2P or anything like that. Sure, P2P has contributed to declining record sales, but the primary, undeniable factor in their decline is this:

THE MUSIC THEY RELEASE IS S***

Sure, there have been a few really good bands and singers and such, but for the most part music over the past few years has just been awful. I mean, Avril Lavigne? Give me a break! Maybe the labels should start hiring people with talent, and not just any monkeywhore who can scream into a microphone.

21. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I am more than happy with ITMS. There is not much that I would want immediately that I could not wait for. I am doing my best to send a message to RIAA by buying my music from Apple. I don't want CD's, I want music.

249 Songs from the Music Store and growing.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There was some article floating around a while ago saying that only 2% of all records released account for 80% of music sales. Not sure if that was annually or overall or what, but it still means alot of people are buying alot of crappy music when you look at what the top sellers are.

23. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

This summer, the MPIAA suggested the poor gross returns on movies is due to kids using text-messaging on their cell phones to tell their friends the movie sucks.

It's basically the same thing.

Bringing it back to music, the RIAA is trying to sell us less for more. That much is clear. In light of that, the RIAA would do well to remember that music is just like any other consumer product. If you sell less for more, people will stop buying it.

The RIAA has the opportunity to fix the root cause of music piracy by making the legal procurement of music more desirable than the illegal procurement of music. Instead, it is taking the vindictive route by punishing everybody, regardless of whether the individual pirates music.

I will NEVER buy such a copy-protected CD. I never listen to CDs, I just listen to music on my iBook and iPod. Every song on either device is also on a CD in my rack. There are thousands, maybe millions, of folks like me. The RIAA needs to understand that if it wants to squat down and take a giant poo on consumers, they'll continue to have problems with music piracy.

BTW, the RIAA loses more money each year due to organized-crime piracy than it does to P2P pirates.

24. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

exactly. unless they want to ban and sue cd player manufacturers too, which is obviously too far. ;)

"Untouchable Compact Discs". sure, i won't touch them. i won't touch them AT ALL. :p

25. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Ryan1524

It would be amusing to watch Sony bitch-slap itself. :D