Bad News for Opera DS

Discussion in 'Games' started by plinkoman, Aug 16, 2006.

1. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

IGN got it's hands on the japanese version of Opera for DS, and apparently, it is quite slow.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/725/725813p1.html

They had some good things to say about the functionality of it though; but if it is really as slow as they say, I wont be buying it. It's too bad; I was looking forward to it. :(

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

But in the article it says the version they played with at E3 (?) wasn't as slow and they suspect that since they are playing the finalized Japanese version that it is connecting to a server overseas rather than in the US. And that might be causing the slowdown.

I wasn't expecting too much with the browser. It was a nice idea, and I hope it is better than the review IGN gives it. But I'd probably pass on it, personally.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Since getting this M3 I'm just waiting till a homebrew browser comes out. can't be long!

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I think those review sites are expecting a bit too much from the DS browser. It is after all a couple of ARM processors and 4 megs of ram.

I think to whoever buys this should make sure that their website of preference has a mobile link to it.

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

does MacRumors?

6. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Hopefully, it will be fast enough by the time it is released here officially.

7. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

IMO all of these reviews are quite ridiculous. The Opera Browser is a MOBILE browser. Macrumors, Google, Gmail etc all have mobile versions of their websites. The DS browser is also much less expensive than a Pocket PC or PSP for browsing and loads mobile sites much faster and has a better interface than most cell phones. Also, you can use it to chat via ebuddy's mobile site on aim, yahoo or msn. Who cares if you can't watch video or play flash games on it. It is really nice for checking email or browsing news and blog sites from Universities, hotel lobbies, restaurants, and coffee shops. Personally, I don't like to carry a laptop around with me because I already have to have tons of textbooks but my DS is light enough and just right for light web browsing.

8. Kimi macrumors regular

I have to agree, I'll be getting it for just that. If I've popped out for a bit, the chances are I won't be carrying my laptop, but will have my DS. Good for checking a few emails, or to check how the football is going, when I need to in a lobby or something.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Related: http://mini.opera.com
    I use it on my S710a, and it's not slow at all. Well, not as fast as my home connection, but quite fast compared to other options.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've had good luck with it on my phone and it's quite good. I wish I had a full keyboard.

I'd like to see it work on my DS. Whatever happens, the people behind Opera will make it good.

11. Kimi macrumors regular

The DS browser isn't slow due to the cart or design, but because of the DS it's self. The DS uses a slow wifi conection, so the page loading is slow but once it's there it's fine.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Opera DS is not a "mobile browser". It's the full version of Opera 8.5 you can get for Windows or OS X, minus the plug-ins (Flash, etc).

You can switch to "mobile" mode (like regular Opera) but it also runs in full mode.

You don't need websites to have a mobile version to browse it.

You can even disable stylesheets and images (again, just like the regular version of Opera) to browser faster.

And don't trust that particular review... IGN has some pretty bloated code in its page source, it's no wonder it takes forever to load, render and display.

My question is, will Nintendo release Opera DS from Opera 8.5 in europe and north america, or will we get Opera 9.0?

And after that, I'm hoping for a "Nintendo DS Lite Plus" with built-in Opera and built-in Play-Yan micro. :D

13. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I agree that IGN's site is not a good site to test it with. Most sites should run smooth. I'd still like to see Nintendo make a site designed just for DS browsing gamers in mind. Something simple and plain, large text, and maybe game downloads, hints or whatever.

The bad side to the browser is that it is not upgradable. So you are stuck with the version number on the cart.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Would it not be possible to flash the cart via some sort of download centre? download the update onto to GBA cart then update it, or perhaps over a local wireless connection?

Just saying it probably is possible to update it. whether or not it happens is beyond me. Hoping another company comes out (firefox?) to bring another browser. thus begins competition, thus begins some great results for us end users.

15. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

well, i was going to import it but now i doubt i'll get it at all.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I highly doubt it'll be updatable unless they allow small updates to be saved in the saveram, but I doubt you could fit anything worthwhile.

17. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Well what were people really expecting? That it would match their powerbooks for speed?!

As long as you a realistic you won't be disappointed with it. It is perfect for mobile versions of sites in terms of speed, and perfect for regular sites in terms of ease of navigation.

If you want to catch up on news/send emails/check scores/post on macrumors while on the move, it is a fantastic device.

And yes, I've got one and I love it.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It would match a Titanium PowerBook 400 with 802.11b. :)

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Erm, any WiFi is faster than any currently existing wireless data protocol.

20. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

The DS's wireless speed is capped though. I forget to how much, 3Mb/sec I think.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Might have been 2, not sure.

Regardless, the DS is rendering all this on a 66 MHz processor, with WiFi capped at 2 Mbps (IIRC). Keep that in mind.

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

By mobile browser, I mean that it is a browser running on a mobile device. It shouldn't be expected to replace a laptop. The DS browser is a modified version of Opera 8.5 made to run on the DS. Anyone who expects full speed browsing on that slow of a processor is kidding themselves. It still is nice for what it is though.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah, forgot about that. My Pocket PC is rendering pages with a 266mhz CPU and the speed looks about the same. mad how Opera really got the most out of the DS's miniscule CPU. The DS being the little system that could.

24. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Your pocket PC out-performs my bondi blue iMac. :(
    I bet it's quieter, too.