Bad quality iDVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jimmieboy, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Hey everyone. I've been using iDVD and I've put my presentation on DVD. When I watch it on my TV I've noticed that the quality is really poor. I've changed between PAL/NTSC with no change. It's not only the pictures but the whole DVD. I've tried it on many different computer, TV's and DVD players. Is there some way to change the quality or resolution of my iDVD project?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Poor quality in what way? Is it skipping, is the picture fuzzy, how long is the DVD?
    Does it do it in every DVD player? What's the source material from - is it photos, is it a Keynote presentation, is it from a camcorder?

Things to consider include whether the source material has enough resolution when watched on a big screen and what quality the raw footage had.

I had a problem with one DVD which I burned where it seemed to 'skip' slightly during some transitions. I went into Preferences and changed it from the default 'Best Quality' to 'Best Peformance' (hmm, I think it's that way around) - it took a little longer to encode since it doesn't allow background encoding while you create the DVD but it solved the skipping glitches.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Also take into account that big screen does not necessarily mean big resolution. You'd be surprised at how low-of-res some of these 60"+ behemoths are. For example, the Samsung HLR6167 is 61" but still only 1280 x 720 pixels.

4. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Thanks for your replies so far. The quality issue that I am experiencing is that my images and the whole DVD is looking fuzzy. I have just created it in IDVD and have a few slideshows. The DVD only goes for 11 minutes. Thanks in advance