Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
I have a 15inch 1.25 Ghz PowerBook (the first aluminum vers.) It has an original Apple 256meg RAM chip and a Replacement 512meg RAM chip in the upper slot.

The other day I noticed my comp running slow and after some investigation I noticed that it was only showing the chip in the top slot and not the bottom.
I opened it up and pulled the chips out reseeded them and it worked. THen it froze after 24hours usage. When I rebooted it only saw the upper slot again.

Then I switched the chips to the otehr slots and rebooted. Same thing. It worked for a day and then frooze. Upon reboot, it only saw the top slot (this time the 512 chip)

Anybody know of RAM slots going bad? Each DIMM seems to work fine in the top slot, but nothing stays stable in the bottom slot.

I want to avoid sending it in to Apple if at all possible.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
yep

There was alot of info posted about this on macintouch.com

Many people are having the exact problem as you. My brother has had the same problem too

MoeG

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
Dubai, U.A.E.
G'day...

This problem seems to be on every revision of the PWB...i got the 1.5Ghz , just before apple introduced the new ones...bummer...., i have 1Gb (512x2)
i was playing WOW i found it abit slow....after some looking around i found that i have only 512mb.....i took it to apple ( i'm currently in Hamburg, Germany ) and they fixed it no questions asked....this seems to be a problem they know about and keep under the rug....

Over'n Out...

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
I've been told recently that a guy I know from uni couldn't fit the ram-block in the extra slot on his pb. Apples solution to the problem was to give him a new powerbook !! Must be a quite known issue I suppose.

A

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Thanks for the confirmation.

Anyone know if they can fix it locally at a Authorized repair shop? Or does it have to go all the way back to Apple?

I hate to have to send it in again. It's already been in twice for screen problems and once for a power issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.