Bad Santa (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Dec 1, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

***WARNING***
    As per most movie review threads there is a possibility that others might post Spoliers, which by definition could ruin the movie for you. While I have included no such spoilers in my post, the same might not be said for other posts.

Last week I was listening to Tony Kornheiser on ESPN radio and he started talking about this movie: BAD SANTA. I'd seen previews but they hadn't peaked my interest.. hearing Tony talk about it though did the trick. He said that he felt that 97% (or some high percentage) of people who saw this film, would HATE IT. Tony though, loved it.

So on Thanksgiving Day I was bored and me and a buddy decided to go see it at the local theatre. There were like 6 people in the movie theatre, and no one laughed as loudly or as hard as I did. It was hands down the funniest movie I've seen all year.. even the ending, which I won't divulge hit the spot. It could have went this stupid, sappy route.. and although it wasn't as jaded as I'd hoped.. it wasn't at all dissapointing. This movie MADE my weekend...

I loved this movie. It was faster paced than Royal Tennebaums, but very much in the same vein.. although much more twisted. Anyone with a sick sense of humor, GO SEE THIS FILM. I can't say enough good things about it.

Anyone else?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

3. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Yes, I heard it was a pile of ****. Thats the message I got from the Morman TV news hosts here so... I don't know if it is that good or not.

I also heard a review where the reviewer thought because the movie was produced by Jews that it felt like more of a stab at "Santa" then anything else. But I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know. Ill wait till it comes out on Movie Beam.

4. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I thought I would get flamed for my post above. The reason that I brought up the morman thing is that a morman reviewer (heavy Christian) is going to have a differnt review about a movie where santa is portrayed as mean and bad vs. A guy in NY that doesn't give a **** about santa, or a person that has no religion at all. So that's what I mean. And I know the guy is Morman because his wife taught a guy I work with in middle school.

5. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Okay.. so.. the JEWS are making fun of a FICTIONAL character in a MOVIE? I'm not sure what is more ridiculous about that argument... the anti-semtic movie review or criticisim of a comedy for making fun.

It was a dark comedy.

6. coopdog macrumors 6502a

It's not an argument, I have only heard two reviews of the movie and that was one of them. How is that anti-semtic?
    Come on cr2sh santa is real, it's a proven fact.

7. Macco macrumors regular

Yeah, Santa Claus. He's like... so fat and stuff! Hahaha!

BTW, I've seen the movie, and it has nothing really to do with Santa Claus. It's about a guy who gets jobs as a mall Santa to steal money. It really doesn't say anything bad about Santa Claus or Christmas or anything, because that's not the focus of the movie.

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Ok, I can't just let this go. WTF??

Since when do 'Jews' have anything against Santa? Were they responsible for his death, too? And why did you feel it was your duty to spread that sort of idiocy here? Sheesh.

Back on topic: Bad Santa is an excellent movie. It's a brilliant study of bad taste. Roger Ebert wrote this about it:

My mini-review is on my blog, linked below.

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Re: Bad Santa

Cool--I'm really glad to read this! I've been wanting to see this movie but have been reluctant because of bad reviews. I really like Billy Bob though, and I LOVE the Royal Tenenbaums, so this movie will probably be pretty good after all.

10. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

Bad Santa was absolutely hilarious! Of course the mormons don't like it cause every other word out of Billy Bob's mouth was f***. If you mind mean spirited, sophomoric humor with a lot of swearing, then you will absolutely hate Bad Santa...but if you don't mind...you will be laughing about the scene with the midget and Bernie Mac for a very, very long time - or the "boxing ring" scene...or well hell...the whole movie.

A must see!