Bad SD Card..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, May 7, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I have a 1gb ultra II sandisk memory card.. And it is not being read by anything.. I put it in my reader.. and the light is on.. but nothing on my computer.. when i put it into my camera, it says memory card error.. What can i do??

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Have you tried formatting it with your camera, or does it simply refuse to see the card?

Also, have you tried Disk Utility on the Mac to see if there's anything it can do?

Has the card worked in the past, and now suddenly it doesn't, or is this a new card? If you purchased it recently you may be able to return it for a refund.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Clean the contacts. If you have tried a few different readers, then perhaps this is it. It's the only thing you can do from this end. If no reader, computer, or device recognizes the card, I would contact the manufacturer.

SD cards do degrade with use (though I do not see why).
    Flexing can cause degradation.

7. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok nevermind, i called sandisk and they are sending me a replacement! Yay im happy!

8. theheyes macrumors regular

I bought a Kingston SD card once and had the same problem, so I ordered a replacement. The replacement came and that didn't work either. I dont recall why, but I tried the original card again and it worked. Then I tried the replacement card, which also began working -- and theyve both been working ever since. Weird stuff.

I suppose the moral of the story is SD cards are fickle, in my experience. Keep fiddling. ;)