Bad things you've done to your Apple product

Discussion in 'Community' started by appleguy, Jul 20, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

appleguy

As I said in a previous post.
    I droped my ipod, it skidded across the road and got run-over by a bus, but it still works. (was in a Contour Show case).
    Plus I have serveral more stories from my customers as well, but will post at later dates

2. macrumors regular

I gave a 40 GB iPod to my wife. Need I say more?

It takes a daily beating (like everything she owns) but keeps on going. Well, the back is dented and there are make-up smears around all the buttons. She honestly "doesn't know how that happened."

I've been putting off buying her a powerbook. A dent in an iPod I can handle, but a powerbook...

Still, I find something cute about how she can smash things and not know how it happened. I could never be that carefree.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

Ahhh I love it, Wife's who will have them

4. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Damaged (dropped) an old Apple 13 inch monitor.

At the time, I had a SETI Farm with 5 7600 style desktop Macs. The monitor was on top of the stack and shared by the 5 computers.

Well one night I was working on some shelves nearby, and one fell down, hit the monitor, and because it has no rubber feet slid off the stack and did a face plant on the floor. Broke the bottom covers off (speakers, adjustment buttons). But it still works fine. Awesome.

Apple sure knows how to build things!

Sushi

5. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One time I closed the lid on my rev B 12" Powerbook and then hit the top of the lid with an open palm because it was acting all Windows-ish. Of course there was no damage since I didn't really slap it hard, and I started kissing the lid once I did it, but oh man...... *enrols in anger management class* :p

I forgot what my PB did or didn't do to cause this reaction, but it did something funky, I'll tell you that. Don't worry, we made up and all is golden. :)

6. macrumors 65816

blackfox

Pretty run-of-the-mill occurances...

last one was during a late-night design session, when I accidentally kicked out my (mostly-broken) leg of my computer desk, causing everything (PB, external HDs etc) to slide off to the left to a date with the carpet...also my coffee and ashtray went all over my PB and Contour Shuttle pro...a little cleaning (ok a lot) and much swearing and I was back in business, although my apple key still sticks occasionally. Other than that no permanent damage. Needless to say, I bought a new desk.

7. Moderator emeritus

sushi

On Macs have personalities. :D

PCs are just hunks of metal and electronics! Although, the homebuilt market is trying to change that.

Sushi

8. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    my 1 yr old nephew jumped on top of my Pismo (closed).. I didn't do it, but that's the worst that's ever happened to any of my macs.

9. macrumors 6502a

Some beer got poured into the key board of my old PB 667 (I didn't do it). I was pretty... out of it... at the time so I took the battery out and dealt with it in the morning. Turned it on (before I remembered what happened to it) and everything worked like a charm.
    BEN

10. macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Closes I done is destory old HS macs. The lastest one my friend and I took a screw driver and took all of the pieces out of it 1 at a time taking great pleasure in sending the mac to the trash where it belonged. Now my keychain is the ram chip that was in there. I still have I think it other ram chip and networking card in my car.

This mac was one of there macs that like 7-8 years old and not worth powering up. I fogot what we did with the hard drive. Ah lots of fun. Now i need to check wiht a friends brother and see if he took apart there old broken imac :)

11. macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I was trying to straighten a power cord on the couch and yanked my 12" AL powerbook onto the floor. It was on & running, only dented the base corner on which it landed first.

12. macrumors 68020

Raid

Well lets see... I've spilled lemonade on the keyboard of my Performa. That wasn't such a big deal I turned it upside down immediately and the inner surface that the keys connected to was rubberized. It was a pain to clean to remove all the stickiness, but after it was done it worked fine.

I've aslo dropped my Ti book on my toe from desk height. Luckily (although it didn't feel that way at the time) my toe took the brunt of the impact. :eek: It started up fine and even though I think the hinge hit my toe, the lid opens and closes fine too.

But the most drastic "damage" I've done to my computer was intentional. About 3 years ago I had a DVD-ram drive given to me, but didn't want to get rid of the burner in my fairly new G4 (Sawtooth? ...466mhz), and didn't have the cash for an external case cause I was saving for a car. So I got the bright idea to do a little 'case-modding' and cut out the lower bay (designed for zip drives) and hooked up the DVD-ram drive underneath my burner. I'd much rather have a second flip-down cover for the drive, but it looks ok and works so I'm happy. But cutting into the case and making sure no metal filings got near the main board was nerve wracking!

13. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I usually keep my iPod in the black cloth pouch that holds the belt clip. One day, it was sitting on top of my jacket on the kitchen table, with my iTrip attached, when my mother comes over and grabs my jacket. The iPod goes flying as I watch (in slow-motion;)) from the couch. It lands face first :(

"ARGH"
    "What was that?!"
    "MY IPOD!"
    "I didn't see it!"

:rolleyes:

14. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I once let a Windows user use my Mac :D.

Seriously though, the worst thing I've done to my Mac was beating it up. My old Performa gave me the worst time. It always froze, the damn thing drove me insane. So one night I had typed up a five or six page report, and in my juvenile bliss, had not saved. Of course, the computer froze. I lost it big time. I lifted the monitor up and slammed it down onto the machine several times, punched it, and hit it with the mouse. It was quite an assault. Sadly, the machine was fine. It was my first Mac, and I loved it, but I'm so glad it's gone. Worst computer ever.

15. macrumors regular

I forgot that I had put my double USB iBook in my travel bag when I checked into a flight with Lufthansa. They asked me to check it in with my other luggage as it was too heavy to be taken into the cabin. When I got it back it had a couple of bad scratches across the lid, the combo drive had come open, although it was packed into lots of clothing. Naturally, Lufthansa would not take the blame for this. So I guess it was my fault... Still it will be a long time until I choose Lufthansa again.

16. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

my cat likes to rub her nose/mouth on the vertical edges of my g5!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

everytime she does it i get a damp tissue and wipe it off! it makes me mad!!!! i hate to think what happens when i go out but you can see drip marks sometimes!!!!

(my cat drips, purrs and dribbles and drips go everywhere.:p i've never met another dripping cat! shes special! BUT NAUGHTY!!!:mad: )

17. macrumors 65816

krimson

double-sided tape should cure your cat of that. :)

18. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

are you suggesting that i put double sided tape on my beloved g5?!!! :eek: or on my cat!??! :eek: lol

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

Well my next story

I was on Holiday in Hawaii. Flying from Honolulu to Maui, I took my old Claim Shaped iBook (orginal model) with me to email home. During the flight my bottle of coke burst inside my bag and leaked coke into the ibook.
    No real damage just the halo light stays green and there are orange splohes around the halo...

So I guess Apple makes decent computers then aye

Stay tuned for more horror stories..

20. macrumors 65816

krimson

on the cat of course.. LOL
    no seriously, 2x-sided tape works wonders keeping cats away from things.

tape for a few weeks (til it learns), or drool (possibly leaking inside).. it's up to you. :)

21. macrumors 68020

question fear

tripped over some cords and broke my open combo drive tray :(
    but no other damage, thank goodness.

22. macrumors 6502

I dropped my G5 onto a wooden floor. Oddly enough the floor was not dented but the G5 very dramitically tipped over onto it's side. The side door thing fell off and I thought it was broken until I realized that it was supposed to do it. These things are SOLID! No damage whatsoever to the computer! I love my solid aluminum baby!

23. macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very careful with my Mac's. No real damage other than dirt. Wish that they had the iSkin when I had to replace my keyboard. We are very lucky that Apple makes substantial long lasting products.

24. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

droped a pismo down a flight of carpeted stairs. *thump thump thump* the whole way down... bounced alot better than i thought it would... only thing damaged was the cd drive. *phew*

what else...

the handle of my imac (G3-500) came loose one time when i was carrying it and the computer dropped about 3 feet to the concrete. just had to plug the airport card back in... and fix the handle. its def scuffed up a little.

25. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

This thread reminds me of the woman who cooked her PowerBook

I smashed up a Apple Design II keyboard once when I was mad, I'd had a bad day and then the computer started playing up. I picked it up and kept slamming it up and down on the desk, then the computer said something else which I didn't particularly like so I took one end and hit the wall with it, at which point keys went flying absolutely everywhere. I think it learnt it's lesson.

Bloody shame too, those keyboards were fantastic (best Apple built IMO) and it cost a fortune to replace (ok about £40, but it was an unnecessary expense).

I've since calmed down, laptops are much more fragile.

AppleMatt

edit: I took a hard-drive out of a Performa once and never got round to putting it back, it stayed out gathering dust (literally, the thing was covered) for about 4 years. When I finally reinstalled it all I got was a sad mac icon :(

edit 2: I put my iPod in my jogging bottoms and then ran up the stairs, when I got to the top it wasn't in my jogging bottoms. Only a minor dent though, you can hardly see it :)