Bad time to buy an iBook G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by admiraldennis, Mar 11, 2004.

1. admiraldennis macrumors regular

My dual usb iBook/G3 500Mhz is really getting rather dated.

I'm ready to upgrade to a 12.1" iBook G4, but I'm wondering, should I wait? I'd like to get this before May, the sooner the better.

Is now a good time to buy or are upgrades on the horizon?

Thanks, guys.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

have you maxed the RAM out? that will provide some more life
    i'd wait to upgrade you'd just be going from 500 to 800 Mhz not a big jump if you upgrade now

3. admiraldennis thread starter macrumors regular

my ram is 256, my harddrive is a 10gb, it's a 500mhz *G3* with a 67Mhz bus and an ati rage pro mobility 8MB graphics card.

i kinda want to upgrade sometime soon :), just wanna know if they plan on upgrading the line soon

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

5. JasonL macrumors regular

If you would benefit from buying the new computer and can afford to do so, than by all means buy it. You stated that that you would like it sooner than later. This to me means you are commited to to this. If you are inclined to wait for May (as you mentioned is about the latest that you'd like to wait) than do so, but I can't imagine that in two months the iBook is going to be so much better than it is now as to make a significant difference.

I recently bought a 1.25GHz 15" PB after agonizing over it for a few weeks. It turned out that I really needed it sooner than I thought. I'm glad I bought it when I did. I've found that no matter when I've bought a computer it is somewhat difficult to stomach looking at what the same amount of money would have bought, say, a year later. You really can't look at it that way.

Good luck and may you come to a decision that works out well for you.

Jay