Bad Time to Buy an iBook G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cruzn15, Mar 25, 2004.

  1. Cruzn15 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2004
    #1
    I was planning to buy a G4 iBook fairly soon, but MacRumors's "Mac Buyer's Guide" lists the iBook as "Don't Buy - Updates soon."

    "With the exception of "Don't Buy - Updates Soon", the remainder of recommendations are simply calculated based on the proximity of the most recent product release."

    "When enough rumors accumulate regarding a particular product's release or enough time has elapsed between updates, that product will receive a "Don't Buy - Updates Soon" rating."

    Last Release: October 22, 2003
    Days Since Update: 152 (Average = 151)

    Update History:

    10/2003
    4/2003
    11/2002
    5/2002
    1/2002
    10/2001

    Is it reccomended that I wait? If so, how long am I expected to wait until the new release? I need this fairly soon.

    My Dad just questioned why Macworld would do their review in March 04 if the updates are coming soon. It makes me quesiton the liklihood of an imminent update.


    Thanks a lot, guys.
     
  2. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #2
    I think the iBook is least likely to be updated soon.

    But there have been suggestions that there will be some update to the iBook shortly after the PB.
     
  3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #3
    I agree it's least likely to be updated soon. I hope that it could be as little as a month, but who knows. However, it's not likely to be a major upgrade. While it's always nice to have something a little better, We're probably only talking about processor speed bumps.
     
  4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

    Steven1621

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #4
    again, stick to the idea that you will be fine if you buy now if the present model fits all your needs. if you are strapped for cash or need extra power, it might be better to wait.
     
  5. Cruzn15 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2004
    #5
    If you guys really think that the Mac Buyer's guide is way off, then I'll be buying a 14" 933 iBook over the weekend. Anyone else have anything to add? Thank you so much for your prompt replies, guys.
     
  6. phonemonkey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2004
    Location:
    Virginia
    #6
    I have the same system you are thinking about and I would go for it. Max out the memory and if they update it too soon you shoulnd't be far behind. My system is more than adequate and I run extensive multimedia functions/apps. The only thing that takes much time is editing video and there isn't much difference between mine and my buddies pb 12"
     
  7. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #7
    Contrary to what the site mentions, I think this is just a trigger from hitting the average time between updates. No one seems to have any good info that the iBooks are being upgraded, but some think maybe in a few weeks with the PB.
     
  8. the.snitch macrumors regular

    the.snitch

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2004
    Location:
    Auckland, NZ
    #8
    I have the ibook 12" maxed out with ram (640mb), its a seriously awesome setup and i would much prefer it over the 14" but higher speced model. The only diff is the processor, and for that small difference i would much rather have a MUCH more portable version. :)
    Plus, people are always giving me comments and looks like "Wow, its soo small...sexy...white...!". The larger version is a brick in comparison.
     
  9. miltontong macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2004
    Location:
    toronto, canada
    #9
    I think it would be better to wait. It has already been just over 5 months since the last update. Judging by the length between the previous few updates, which have all been around 5-6 months, my guess is that there should be an update within the next 6 weeks. I myself will be waiting for the next 12" ibook.
     
  10. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #10
    I wouldn't disagree with anything you said really, but I'd just ask the original poster how soon he needs it.

    He mentioned needing it fairly soon.
     
  11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2000
    Location:
    54140
    #11
    i waited long enough for mine. just got it last weekend. my advice (echoed by previous posters) is go for it. the ibook is a lot more computer for your money. less money, less computer, but it's almost as good and it's cheaper. i am a graphic design major and this thing suits my needs perfectly (see sig).

    get the ibook. get the 12in. (the 14 is just a waste of $, space)

    you WONT" regret it
     
  12. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    #12

    I completely agree, get the 12".

    lasuther
     

Share This Page