Bad Vram?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ivnj, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

My Dads Powerbook G4 TI 1hgz has bad VRAM. At least acorfing to the hardware test CD. And the display is all erractic. Lines and fuzz and everything. See

http://teenlounge.org/cex/fuzz.png

I don't know how much a TI is worth now adays. I forget which site but one says 350 to replace the logic board. VRAM is soldered on so I'd need a whole new board right? Is 350 US dollars too much for a new logic board? Or I'm a better investing 1100 in a new Macbook. Cuz I've read quite a few issues with those too.

We baught it brand new from CDW almost 3000 US dollars. But 3 years ago and we have no warentee.

I'm really upset cuz we kept it very good shape. Few scratches and normal ware. But it wasn't form EBAY or anything. It was brand new. And it's only been 3 years.

Thanks,
    ivnj

2. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

The Ram in a TI book is not soldered in. To get at it - flip-open the keyboard by giving the little screw between F5 and F5 a half-turn. (so that the slot is vertical) - then pull-back the two lugs. (Between Esc and F1) and (F11 and F12).

The Ram slots are exposed at the bottom of the keyboard hole - near where the space bar should be.

If you have two, try removing one and see what happens. You could earth yourself, and try cleaning the edge connector on the SODIMM memory card.

Oh and you are in the wrong topic (BTW).

C.

3. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

I know I just realized as I'm new here.

Anyway, VRAM is soldered. Normal ram as you mentioned is different. The 2 slots you mentioned are normal not VRAM. Video RAM is soldered and is different than normal RAM.

Thanks,
    ivnj

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Exactly. You will need a whole new logic board as you assumed. Unfortunately keeping the machine in good external condition has not effect on the chances of a chip going bad. This is just a fact of life. $350 sounds reasonable for a logic board. I thought it'd be at least $500.

5. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

6. dusanv macrumors 6502

Get it from eBay. Lots of people crack their Ti and sell the innards on eBay. Shouldn't be that difficult to replace the board (unlike for an iBook).

BTW, mine is 4 years old and had some problems early on (all the standard stuff for the Ti) but it's fine now. And it's being used every day.

7. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya, I found a good deal on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEBI:IT&viewitem=&item=140064100084&rd=1&rd=1

I can just mesh it half and half with my current config.

But I don't know how much is the max I should bid. How much somoething that old is really worth.

Or if vram na dother chips failing is common for ti books. I heard ti models had a lot of issues anyway. Alluminum's are more stable.

There's a 550 dollars for a alluminum 1.5ghz book with a minor dent but fully working. Might already be gone by now. But not sure how good alluminums were.

Thanks,
    ivnj

8. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

There's still 4 hours left. So how much is too much for that.

Thanks,
    ivnj