Badass iBook G4!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bluemarlinchef, Feb 12, 2006.

1. bluemarlinchef macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2006
    I just made my 800mhz G4 iBook Sweeeeet!

Here are my upgrades....Let me know what you all think about em!

*100GB 5200rpm Hard Drive by Maxtor
    *DVD-R/RW Superdrive with DVD+R Dual Layer writing (UJ-845 model).
    *640MB Ram

Now I can burn CD's,DVD's (both single & dual layer)...I love it!!!

I installed everything myself and I have no installation experience..It was time consuming and a little tricky but kinda easy!
  2. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    Do you mean 7200rpm?
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    What do I think about them?

Why not a 7200 RPM Drive?

You were actually using less? I don't know what you were running before, but any RAM upgrade is a good upgrade.
  4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I assume the 640 is 1 128 stick and 1 512 stick. Why didnt you go straight for 1.128GB ram? All other upgrades seem sweet though.
  5. bluemarlinchef thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2006
    The 1gb memory stick wasn't available....I didn't want to wait...I'll get one later...
    The 5200rpm 100gb drive was the fastest available at the time.

It still runs real nice....I like that I can burn DL DVD's!!
  6. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I nominate bluemarlinchef to cook for our next MacRumors beach party!

At least, I hope your user name is indeed factual. :D
  7. DCBass macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2004
    Washington, DC

Sounds great!

That gives me inspiration to do something similar to my aging Rev. A 12"pb, that is, after the warranty runs out this summer.

How long did it take you? Seems you spent about $200 on the RAM and HD? Encounter any problems on the way?

Congrats on the upgrade!

8. bluemarlinchef thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2006
    I wil Cook!! I love to do it!

I actually got the HD from a friend for $100....yes i know!

All together I put about $300 in to it.
    It is worth it!

I just burned the first DL DVD and it works fine!

Now I must go make videos with girlfriend! :)
  9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Maybe he can upgrade his processor too, and use it too cook for us :rolleyes:
  10. bluemarlinchef thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2006
    The only problems i encountered installing the components were a few screws lying around.....I think they where extra! haha!! :rolleyes:

no problems though!
    It's pretty easy. just keep track of where all the screws go.

Good Luck to all you DIY'ers!!
  11. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Good job. All iBooks should be similarly equipped -- once you punch up the memory, though, you will really be flying!
  12. noelister macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    I agree with California, Bump up the RAM when you get a chance.
  13. colinet macrumors 6502

Sep 5, 2003
    Me too

I also just installed a 100 gig 5200rpm (Samsung) (the 7200rpm are MUCH more expensive as are the 120 gig drives) in my G4 800 iBook and was amazed that all I lost was one tiny screw and everything seems to work OK. Already had 640 ram, but I don't need the DVD burner as I've put a D/L one in my G5 tower which works fine.

Anyone else who is thinking of doing this, you can download a workshop manual from - - it's pretty essential as the hard drive is not designed to be simply replaced. you've got to take the top ad bottom off!!
  14. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2006
    Sounds like a nice set up. I am thinking of upgradeing my memory as soon as I can. Oh crap just keeps going wrong.
  15. MacMosher macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2006
    Not necessary to say somthing like this ahahha:p
  16. colinet macrumors 6502

Sep 5, 2003
    Unless you are prepared to share them with the rest of us.:D
  17. bluemarlinchef thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2006
    loosten up MACMOSHER! It's all fun in here!

Thanks for all your comments....I will upgrade my RAM soon...Then i will have a decent setup!!
  18. d_saum macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    Ditto! :D

And yeah MACMOSHER, loosen up tigha$$! ;)

Oh and yeah, I want to upgrade my iBook in my sig, but it's already got 640MB ram (which is its max). I'd love to put in a 100 or 120 GB hard drive, but I can't help but wonder if I should just save my pennies and get one of those new MacBook Pro's???
  19. bluemarlinchef thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2006
    iBook update

I just took everyone's advice and added a 1GB memory module to my iBook G4 800mhz!!

now i have 1.12GB of RAM!

Final iBook Specs:

800mhz G4
    1.12GB Ram
    100GB 5400rpm Hard Drive (UJ-845 Matshita)
    CD-RW/DVD-R/+R/RW Dual layer burner
    Airport Extreme

What do you all think of it now?

Do you think this is a pretty solid setup to run Final Cut Sudio Apps to edit and burn video?

Overall on a 1-10 scale, what would you rate it?

Thanks for the input in advance!
  20. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Not sure about how great it will be for video editing BUT it'll probably be just fine. That's a sweet set up on the iBook; I love MAXing things out.

It must be so much faster than original, right?
  21. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I installed a 100 GB 5400 RPM Seagate drive in my Rev. C 12" PowerBook last night. I'm actually running on an external drive right now, because I haven't cloned everything over to the new drive yet.

Anyway, replacing the hard drive in a 12" PB is relatively easy. Just take the keyboard and upper case off, and you can get to the hard drive. I do highly recommend the guides at iFixit. They show you what to do step by step, and also have screw guides so you can organize all the screws and know how to put them back without missing any.

Replacing the optical drive on a 12" PB is another matter altogether. I actually opened my PB to fix a problem with the optical drive slot, so I needed to remove the optical drive. You have to take everything except for the bluetooth card out to do so. That includes the hard drive, power supply, modem, metal frame, logic board, etc. If you're not experienced with small fragile cables and tight spaces, it's not something I'd recommend. You even have to take the heatsink/cooling assembly off of the processor, which is a little scary at first.

How was replacing the iBook's optical drive? I think I've heard that the iBooks are a little easier to work on.