Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
A full list of the BAFTA award winners:

Best film
Brokeback Mountain

Best British film
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit

Best actor in a leading role
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

Best actress in a leading role
Reese Witherspoon - Walk The Line

Best actor in a supporting role
Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain

Best actress in a supporting role
Thandie Newton - Crash

Original screenplay
Crash - Paul Haggis/Bobby Moresco

Adapted screenplay
Brokeback Mountain - Larry McMurtry/Diana Ossana

The David Lean Award for achievement in direction
Ang Lee - Brokeback Mountain

The Carl Foreman Award for special achievement by a British Director/Producer or Writer in their first feature film
Joe Wright (Director) - Pride & Prejudice

Best film not in the English language
De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete

The Anthony Asquith Award for achievement in film music
Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Cinematography
Memoirs of a Geisha

Editing
The Constant Gardener

Production design
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Costume design
Memoirs of a Geisha

Sound
Walk the Line

Achievement in special visual effects
King Kong

Make Up and Hair
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Short animation film
Fallen Art

Short Film
Antonio's Breakfast

Academy Fellowship
David Puttnam

The Michael Balcon Award for Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema
Robert (Chuck) Finch and Bill Merrell

No real surprises, but a shame The Constant Gardener didn't get more. If these are any pointers for the Oscars, then Brokeback Mountain looks set to do well.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
is this movie brokeback mountain really that good? i haven't seen it. i have nothing against gays. i have nothing against cowboys. but does this film really deserve all the attention? or is it winning because it is different (somehow like apple nowadays)?

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
redAPPLE said:
i have nothing against gays.

Oh of course not :rolleyes:

How about we make you a great big sign that says "I'm not gay" that you can take to the cinema if you choose to go and see it.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
redAPPLE said:
is this movie brokeback mountain really that good? i haven't seen it. i have nothing against gays. i have nothing against cowboys. but does this film really deserve all the attention? or is it winning because it is different (somehow like apple nowadays)?
I just watched the show, yes, I think it is that good, well deserving, Crash is excellent as well.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
angelneo said:
I just watched the show, yes, I think it is that good, well deserving, Crash is excellent as well.
Still got to get round to see the 'gay shepard' flick but have to agree that Crash is a great story, I love stuff with multiple threads, one of the few films of late that actually makes you think (other than 'Dukes of Hazard' which makes you think '"Why?":confused: )

The scene with the locksmith toward the end nearly put a tear in my eye, but luckily I'm dead tough.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
mpw said:
Still got to get round to see the 'gay shepard' flick but have to agree that Crash is a great story, I love stuff with multiple threads, one of the few films of late that actually makes you think (other than 'Dukes of Hazard' which makes you think '"Why?":confused: )

The scene with the locksmith toward the end nearly put a tear in my eye, but luckily I'm dead tough.
Actually I find the car crash scene in Crash very touching as well.

For brokeback, I find the subtle and simple touch very refreshing, yet so haunting. Once you get past the "gay" thing as many has put it, it is just a love story between 2 people that can happen to anyone, makes one think about how we have live our lifes.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
stonyc said:
Chuck Norris?
He and I don't read books, we just stare at them until they give us the information!

angelneo said:
Actually I find the car crash scene in Crash very touching as well.
Maybe it's a 'Daddy' thing?

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
mpw said:
Maybe it's a 'Daddy' thing?
Wait, which scene are you refering to? :confused: I'm talking about the part where the cop was going in to rescue the woman and she was screaming "don't touch me!".

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
angelneo said:
Wait, which scene are you refering to? :confused: I'm talking about the part where the cop was going in to rescue the woman and she was screaming "don't touch me!".
For me the scene you're talking about was OK but I simple didn't 'feel' for the characters, the cop doesn't redeem himself just by doing his job the next day and the 'bitch' doesn't help her situation either meeting with said cop, not that she's ever in the wrong 100%.

The scene I was refering to when the locksmith comes home to his daughter just made me, and any father I'm sure, grit their teeth a little and really 'feel' the emotions.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
mpw said:
For me the scene you're talking about was OK but I simple didn't 'feel' for the characters, the cop doesn't redeem himself just by doing his job the next day and the 'bitch' doesn't help her situation either meeting with said cop, not that she's ever in the wrong 100%.

The scene I was refering to when the locksmith comes home to his daughter just made me, and any father I'm sure, grit their teeth a little and really 'feel' the emotions.
Ahh.. I see, I guess it feels the most when it touches part of our lifes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.