Bag and Sleeve for Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thebiggoose, Dec 20, 2006.

1. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2006
    What is the cheapest good bag (either messenger, sling, or backpack) and sleeve cobo or sperate for the MacBook (Not Pro)?
  2. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2006
    Before I give any advice, it would probably be a good idea to list what you're looking for in a bag/sleeve, what your price range is, and what you'll use it for. You'll get much better answers that way.

However, I will say that you might be better off buying a decent bag for your computer, rather than looking for the cheapest one. You've spent over $1000 on your computer. Do you really want to be carrying it around in the cheapest bag you can find? I'd suggest buying a bag that will protect your computer extremely well, and last for a long time.

The two brands that I have a great amount of trust in are Brenthaven and Booq. Both of those brands' products cost a bit more than the average bag, but you'll definitely get what you pay for. I own and have owned products from both brands, and haven't had any complaints whatsoever.

I personally have a Brenthaven Fusion MB messenger bag, which I love. It's got an incredible amount of protection for my MacBook, and looks good too. If you look around on the net, you can find one for just over $60 here.

Again, I feel that you definitely get what you pay for, and you're much better off getting a quality product right away, rather than regretting it in the future. Granted, I understand that budgets do exist (unfortunately), but when you're getting a product that will protect a large investment, it sometimes pays to spend a little bit more initially.
  3. cyberddot macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2003
    in a forest
    Ditto on needing a better idea of what you can spend, and what you want in a bag/sleeve.
    "Cheapest" could include an old school backpack, and a sleeve made out of foam rubber and duct tape, but that's too practical for me too. :D

I'm looking at getting a Patagonia 'One Bag' because it's got a built in laptop-pouch, it can go from briefcase to backpack, and because it can haul a couple days worth of clothing for roadtrips. I think this is the 'cheapest' because it's two bags in one. I can cycle to work with it on my back and then sling it around messenger/briefcase style while at work. These bags have been around for quite a few years, and I've wanted one for a long time, but only recently remembered it as a great option for a laptop.

More images here - One Bag images - this site has lots better views than the Patagonia site, but not necessarily the best price on the bag. This is not a plug for any eSeller, just for the Patagonia bag.

<edit> Oh...and you might try MRoogle to find one of the 100's of other threads started on laptop bags, which would then yield this list.
  4. thebiggoose thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2006
    Ok...I'd like it to pad my Macbook reasonably well, holdan ipod or cell phone, and hold a textbook or two (I'm a high school student)
  5. furcalchick macrumors 68020

Dec 19, 2006
    South Florida
    my suggestion is to get an insleeve bag for $50 (you can buy one at the aple store), and you can put that in your bigger backpack (assuming you have a bag already). that's what i think at least.