Bah humbug Amazon...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I was all organised for Christmas until Amazon UK threw a spanner in the works.

I ordered 3 things on 13 December (with 5 days to go for Christmas delivery) all of which were 24 hour availability. Today, 22 Dec, Amazon send me a mail to tell me that one of them will be delayed by 2 weeks. The other 2 items don't appear to have entered the despatch process either. This means that 3 people are going to be present-less on Christmas morning since I'm at work today and tomorrow, packing for a flight tonight and on a flight tomorrow evening and at Mum's house in middle of nowhere on Friday, so when exactly am I supposed to go shopping for replacements? And I'll have to pay more for them buying them in a crowded unpleasant High St - just what I wanted to avoid. And pay extra to Amazon to ship the now unnecessary ones back

I'm really narked off that they've waited 9 days to tell me there's a problem and to add insult to injury, the item is still showing as 24 hour delivery on their website.

/rant over - thank you for listening.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That does really suck - I used amazon a lot for this year's gifts and didn't have any problems. If anything, the deliveries were faster than expected.

You should probably try and talk to someone about it though - they might be able to help you out with free shipping or something, its not a solution that will get them there any sooner, but it won't be a total loss.

Good luck,

D

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I had a problem with Amazon uk.

Everything arrived yesterday luckily. What annoyed me was the entire order went into dispatching soon after I ordered very quickly but this disabled the cancel individual items option. It would have been OK but one of the items was going to take longer to order than the others, it spent about a week in the dispatching soon mode. I didn't have the option of separating it, or canceling it altogether.

We always used to be able to do that. luckily they got their act together and the stuff arrived.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sorry to hear about that: never trust any online dealer to make your Xmas.

Smug lady who orders everything in 1st week of November rubs it in...

5. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Everything else was bought back in November/early December which is why I'm so annoyed at the thought of disrupting plans to visit the high street. This book was a special request which I only received in early December hence the delay in ordering it.

The really frustrating thing is that the book is now on special offer (another £4 off) and still showing 24 hour availability. I'm beginning to wonder whether Amazon's behind the scenes system has transferred the regular £9 stock to the £5 copy of the book and once the promotion finishes (presumably in a week's time), the £9 stock will become available once more.

To be honest, I can still cancel that item and try to find time to find an alternative although it's inconvenient and dearer - it's the other items that appear to be in total limbo that I'd like to know what Amazon plan doing. Will they arrive pre Christmas, some time next week or not til next year?

I've emailed them - they don't have telephone support - but even that says that they'll aim for answers within 24 hours so I don't hold out much hope.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it's annoying, i hear ya. i once ordered something and since i was not in a hurry, i opted for their free shipping for purchases over $25.

at the same time, my gf ordered me a gift and paid extra to have it shipped faster since it was almost my bday.

well, you can probably guess that my package arrived 2 days earlier. to make the matter worse, amazon did a rather poor job of packing that it was partially damaged. what is that all about?

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I tried to order something from Company X's online store that I've purchased from before. They told me they were swamped with orders and couldn't get me my items by this week unless I paid $10 extra for "expediting".

Then I discovered that Amazon sold the same items, with Company X as their supplier. The item prices were cheaper and they promised 2-3 day delivery, with no expediting fee, even though Company X would ship the items!

I called Company X and asked why Amazon offered their items cheaper and faster than they did themselves. The sales rep (probably hired for the holidays) said she knew nothing about Amazon selling their merchandise.

So I ordered from Amazon and the tracking system says the items will arrive tomorrow. Apparently, Company X gives priority to Amazon orders, and gives Amazon a big enough discount that Amazon can charge less than they do, and deliver them faster. Maybe Company X should tell their sales reps about it too!

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Speaking of Amazon woes, I had ordered two DVDs last week for my mom, and paid for 2nd day shipping so they'd be sure to arrive on time. Well, I checked my package status today, and it says it was was DELIVERED. MONDAY.

No it wasn't. Either that or someone stole it right off our porch. Either way, I'll be calling UPS. :mad:

Update: All UPS does is direct you back to Amazon, apparently they have their own investigation department. Fun! :rolleyes:

9. iGav macrumors G3

Don't you just hate the way everything grinds to a halt and stops working properly as soon as the merry month of December surfs into shore :rolleyes:

And that's why I take the whole of December off every year, works a treat. ;) :)

10. tace macrumors member

Amazon Sucks

My last 3 orders from Amazon were either delayed until they were useless or lost or sent to a completely different address than the one I specified in the Ship to: option.

To add insult to injury they have taken their customer support telephone number off their website. Sending an email query only gets you a response by a typing parrot.

I would be stupid to order anything let alone a new Mac from them.

-whew, feel better now.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I've bought tons of stuff from Amazon and they have never disappointed. Even though, I have been buying DVDs from Overstock.com lately. Yesterday, I ordered the first season of 24 and the first season of The Shield for $14.99 each. How could you not buy that? $32.78 with shipping.

They have about a dozen complete seasons at that price.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?&SEC_IID=5502&PAGE=staticpage&page_id=2681

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have a few rules for shopping at Amazon (and I do shop at both the Canadian and UK stores)....never buy anything you need quickly, even if it says "ships in 24 hours".....look around for those coupon codes - gets the prices down to what they should be....if something doesn't ship when they say it will, send a message through the online help "where's my stuff" section - chances are you'll get the standard "our suppliers sometimes run out yada yada yada" but almost always (at least in the Canada shop) it is accompanied by a $5 coupon code for your next purchase.....oh yeah!

13. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Never order anything from Amazon unless you're prepared to wait and don't trust their availability advice. It's complete bollocks - 24 hours has become over a week for me on previous occasions even while it STILL said 24 hours on the website. Try and complain and all you get is an automated monkey typing a reply. You could write anything and still get the same reply.

14. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Thanks for the customer service number that one of our kind Macrumors members got to me...

I got through to them and started off with a 'sorry' and have £5 voucher. Not good enough so I waited and spoke to a supervisor.

Now have all the items at their current selling price (another 45% off original order value), first class delivery as things become available to each recipient's address rather than one address and a £10 voucher. It's still not ideal obviously since the items won't be there before Christmas but they've managed to despatch 2 of the 3 already this morning so hopefully they'll be there earlyish next week. But since there's no other way to get things there even if I buy them here and ship them up, it's going to have to do.

Merry Christmas all!

15. bartelby macrumors Core

I once order a book from them that had 10 days for the delivery.
    After 4 months I had an email saying the book was no longer available, yet it was still listed on the site!
    I then managed to get the book from a shop in the US for a fraction of the price Amazon wanted and it arrived after 6 days.

16. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

The BBC website picked up the Times store about Amazon's delivery problems. Amazon are denying it saying that the only problems are with iPod orders where iPods ordered in November won't be there til February. I mailed my non-iPod order details to them.

Now I've been interviewed on BBC Radio 5 for a report they are doing on Amazon in their news programmes tonight. Apparently I'll be on at 1645 and 2245 tonight! :p

17. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I've bought tons of stuff from Amazon over the years too, and this is the first time that something I ordered didn't arrive. But technically it wasn't even Amazon's fault, it's either UPS (pronounced "Oops!") or someone stole the package. So this certainly won't affect my business with them. Sh*t happens, ya know? By the way, they've already responded to my request and are sending out replacements right away. They won't arrive in time for Christmas, but oh well! My mom understands.

Oh, when I ordered the Dukes of Hazzard 1st Season DVD set from them, one of the discs had a glitch in it. I returned it and they sent me a new one just like that.

As for shipping times, they've always hit their mark. I still think Amazon's one of the best online stores out there!

18. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

'kin 'ell!!!

Applespider, here's your 15 minutes ;) or 15 seconds....

19. cubist macrumors 68020

Amazon recently refunded my money under their A-Z guarantee, it says they guarantee "timely delivery", dunno if that applies in UK.

I'm happy with them, I've always had good results.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Updating my story: My items arrived today, with return address Company X. Amazon saved me both money and time. I'm not shy about complaining when I get bad service, so I should give them credit for a great job on this one.

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've also never had a problem with Amazon (seems like more UK problems that ones in the States) after many, many orders. Obviously, any company can have problems sometimes, but I can vouch that Amazon has their act together at least most of the time. And this Christmas I was able, like Doctor Q, to order Company Y and Company Z products cheaper with lower delivery charges from Amazon than from the companies themselves.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Amazon cannot be trusted for fast delivery at all. They should only be used for situations that are not time sensitive at all – give yourself at least a month of leeway if you are determined to order on amazon. They pulled the "Sorry 'bout this..." email on one of my friends last Christmas, sending out and email just days before Christmas. Then when I ordered something from them on Sept 3rd, they said it would arrive Nov 25th. The shipping time was "within 24 hours" on their site. Good times. Beware of Amazon. :)

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I had the same thing happen. A $50 boxset got delivered to an old address.

They quickly made it right without a fuss and I'm still overall a very satisfied Amazon customer.

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I bought a dual 2.5GHz PowerMac from Amazon and had a good experience. Naturally there was a delay, but nothing like the delays a lot of other people were experiencing. The delay made it impossible to send in the form for the $150 rebate by the designated time, but they're honoring it anyway (as they should, since it wasn't my fault).

There was also a delay of several days in the shipping, because UPS claimed the address had my street name but no number, so they didn't know where to deliver. At first I was a bit annoyed at Amazon, because I've ordered a number of times before so they ought to have had my correct address. But it turned out to be a total lie, as the address label clearly has the complete address printed on it. This is sadly not a surprise, as it seems every third delivery, UPS apparently loses all memory of my existence and I have to explain where I live AGAIN. What's up with that?

Well, at least it was delivered intact, and 6 weeks on I'm quite happy as the computer is still operating flawlessly.

--Eric